Wheel Grease

thedawnpatrol

Question

13 answers to this question

What Grease should I be using in my Wheel Bearings on my 1942 MCC PU ?

A good quality lithium based grease and as per usual I'm going to suggest Morris lubricants no connection just good reliable quality, have a look on their web site to see what grade and type is best for you.

Pete

What Grease should I be using in my Wheel Bearings on my 1942 MCC PU ?

I suspect the Morris could have felt hub seals, and if they are, from my experience I would not use one of the general purpose greases commonly available, you often find them too thin and oily. I prefer the old style sticky grease as this will not soak through the felt. There is a grease used on semi-trailer wheel hubs that is good for the purpose, and one I use is blue in colour. I have used it on hubs with primitive (felt) sealing and not had any problems.

regards, Richard

As suggested a decent lithium grease will do the job. For high temperature lithium complex is good, bit more protection. Just to let you know there is only a couple of grease manufactures around and all the oil companies buy from them and own brand it. So one companies grease is much like another.

As Jon has mentioned lithium complex, I think that is the blue grease that I use for wheel bearing on vintage / classic era vehicles. Just found the first reference to using it on old vehicles;

http://www.classic-oils.net/Penrite-High-Temperature-Wheel-Bearing-Grease

The lithium complex generally comes in red or blue depending on where you get it from. The complex thickeners in this grease allow it to hold its consistancy at higher temperatures.

As Richard say's interesting to know that red and blue lithium are the same also that there are only a couple of manufacturers. Our cheapest supplier is a Massey Ferguson dealer and we use the red lithium on all our vehicles, tractors plant and machinery without any problems.

I suspect the Morris could have felt hub seals, and if they are, from my experience I would not use one of the general purpose greases commonly available, you often find them too thin and oily. I prefer the old style sticky grease as this will not soak through the felt. There is a grease used on semi-trailer wheel hubs that is good for the purpose, and one I use is blue in colour. I have used it on hubs with primitive (felt) sealing and not had any problems.

regards, Richard

Yes Richard, Felt hub seals and the old grease I 'spooned' out was like wax ! so I think that's the way to go, i'll ask Morris what they suggest from their range.

thanks for all your advice

Jules