Bedford MW wiring loom

Jelleyboy

Question

I'm currently restoring a Bedford MW 1943 and keep looking at the new loom I ordered from Auto Sparks.

Does anyone have an easier diagram to follow to wire up? I have the original manual but im unsure as the loom has been wrapped as one colour and in sections not labelled.

Apologies for the silly request

5 answers to this question

I'm currently restoring a Bedford MW 1943 and keep looking at the new loom I ordered from Auto Sparks.

Does anyone have an easier diagram to follow to wire up? I have the original manual but im unsure as the loom has been wrapped as one colour and in sections not labelled.

Apologies for the silly request

Not a silly request at all, however I'm not too sure what the problem is, you say the loom has been wrapped in one colour I'm guessing you mean that you have no colour coding on the individual wire runs? I'm a little surprised that Auto Sparks have done this as they work from original specifications it's usual for pre war wiring to be mono colour (usually black) I've checked my 1940 Bedford MW OY OX manual and it specifies all the wire run colours in the wiring diagram so I'm surprised they have not followed this at least with something near to the specified coding.

However this is not the end of the world all you need is a continuity meter and check each wire run and label it up.

Start at number one and write this on a piece of masking tape and stick it on a wire doesn't matter which one, find the other end with the continuity meter and stick another piece of tape with number one on it...... repeat in sequence numbering each run until the whole loom and any ancillary looms are traced and numbered. Now lay the main loom onto the truck in the correct position and most of the runs will be self explanatory in terms of where they fit or reach you should end up with just a few runs that you can't identify and you can do these by self elimination.

Pete

Strange this, as I have had a number of wiring harnesses made by Auto Sparks, one being for a MW. All of them were colour coded, not only did it match the wiring diagram colours in the manual but also it is the standard code for vehicle electrics by Lucas, so easy to follow. I lay the harness out on a table first and using a meter run through each one and put a masking tape tag on the end of each one as to where it goes.

I think before you do anything you should contact Auto Sparks and check this. It may be an error has been made. It would be very unusual to either not follow the original factory colours for a coded loom, or not to label or identify the cabling for a single colour loom.

No point in spending time tracing wires if it's their error, or at least something they can help with.