Silentbloc suspension bushes for Saladin etc.

Aussie

I've hit (yet) another hurdle with my Saladin. Assumed that all parts were interchangeable but discovered this isn't so when I tried fitting shockers to a NOS wheel station. So I now need to connect at least some of my old brackets to the stations - can be done but will be fiddly. Also discovered that my NOS shockers don't have Silentbloc bushes, so another option is to get some of the correct size/type to partially solve my dilemma.

Some pics:

My hull number 132, which I guess indicates an early build.

Sal No..jpg

An "older" NOS shocker in the "newer" bracket - far too loose.

Shock 1.jpg

The "older" bottom end - pressed steel bushes protruding.

Shock 3.jpg

An "older" bracket. So the pressed steel bushes meet and have an O-ring between them.

Shock 4.jpg

The "newer" bottom end

Shock 2.jpg

A closer view of the "newer" bottom end. Seems to have a spacer glued on to the bush, and this set up fits snugly in the newer brackets.

Shock 6.jpg

Side by side of older and newer bottom ends. Same part number FV 118991F but different shaft diameters and also different size holes in the shockers/ bumpers for the Silentbloc bushes.

Shock 5.jpg

Shock 8.jpg

Some of this will be fixed by joining the old brackets and using the older-style shocks with their thinner shafts. However having spent frustrating hours getting the first station on I really don't want to take it off, so to make a long story short, can anyone point me to where I might source the newer style bushes (in Australia? - probably not!)?

The Silentblocs are just part of the set up - there is a couple of bushes and also the spacers, so maybe they come as a ready made, complete item?.

Thanks

James

Hi Aussie.

I found this problem with my Stalwart.

There are a early series type shocker and rebound unit with smaller bush and pin.

The later type has a larger pin and the O ring either side of the shocker its self.

If using the later type NOS replace the O rings, as they look OK ,but you will find when you remove them they are melted though old age.

The metal ring on the outside of the O ring will flick out with a screw driver and tap back in with a hammer.

I think on the earlier series with small pins there were some detail differences in washers with the O rings over them.

Tim Vibert did have both types of shocks

Ron

Edited by 101 Ron

I think your mixing stalwart parts with Saladin/Saracen. Generally the stalwart parts are bigger due to the higher all up weight.

I tried Saladin parts for my stalwart and found them smaller.

I know thats not helping but might explain some of the difficulties your having.

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks for that.

Still mucking about with these. Checked to see if they were the wrong shocks but they're labelled Saladin so it looks as if you just need to be careful if replacing them, to make sure they will fit. Actually found some bushes but still need to swap bits around to use some of the newer and some of the older shocks (and it's getting cold down in the shed so enthusiasm temporarily down slightly).