Severn Bridge toll charges for MVs

fv1609

In anticipation of a living history event at Caldicot Castle this weekend I was getting nervous as to how my Shorland might be charged. My experiences at other tolls always seemed to revolve around the fascination as to whether there are rear side windows or not.

So I enquired specifically about my Wolf & Shorland quoting their registration marks as they are just registered as Land Rovers & I got this reply:

Landrovers and Range Rovers - Unless specifically designed for the carriage of passengers in excess of 9 seats (including driver) all Landrovers and Range Rovers must be classified as Class 1 - Motorcars.

We can therefore confirm that your vehicles will fall within Category 1 with a current toll due of £6.50.

We trust this information has answered your query and that your crossings remain trouble free.

I just hope that the Shorland will be recognised as a Land Rover. Just in case I will carry a copy of my V5C & the email plus answer where I quoted the ERM.

Then I need to enquire about my Humber Pig, which is NOT a goods vehicle!

So how do owners of historic MVs heavier than a Jeep or Land Rover find they are charged, in that they are historic vehicles in the eyes of DVLA & not goods vehicles?

As I remember from taking the Unipower over the old severn bridge about 5 years ago; they basically class vehicles by weight and had to pay full rate for commercial. The lady in the kiosk didn't believe me when I said it was about 2 tons! They aren't interested in taxation class at all, no concessions for historic; or that's how it used to be

My mate is registered disabled and goes as many times as he likes including with 7.5 tonner with tractor on for nowt; if any person in vehicle has blue badge its free.

Edited by rustexpert

Many years ago I did a Skol Lager promotion with a DUKW modified to look like Hagars Viking long boat with mast, sail, and figurehead. we drove it around to various shows and Pub promotions, Whilst base in Hull we drove it over the Humber bridge, we stopped at the Toll, the official asked what is it?..a Viking long boat we replied, ..does it carry anything?....Vikings!, how many are onboard?..none...the official called the control room for guidance, ..He says its a Viking long boat, what do we charge? there were many puzzled officials looking down at us from the control tower through their binoculars, the traffic meanwhile was queing up behind, after much haggling and ...get that thing out of here we got away with a car rate charge !

Edited by Nick Johns

Been through Dartford toll a few times with my 109 and swb FFR, both soft tops, they usually "try" and charge me more saying its a van, argued that its a "2 seater convertible" and if they wanted I'll roll the sides up so it cant be a van there and then, always ended up paying the same rates as cars in the end!

Drive an Ambulance. ;) Even Katy the WC54, despite my pointing out to DVLA it is really a van, has Ambulance on the log book. Tolls, what tolls? The Weapons Carrier at Dartford, I just used to give them car money , they always took it. Now it's very late, free, or a whole trawl through the internet to find the website etc. So much for 'As soon as it is paid for, free.

Edited by Tony B

Many years ago I did a Skol Lager promotion with a DUKW modified to look like Hagars Viking long boat with mast, sail, and figurehead. we drove it around to various shows and Pub promotions, Whilst base in Hull we drove it over the Humber bridge, we stopped at the Toll, the official asked what is it?..a Viking long boat we replied, ..does it carry anything?....Vikings!, how many are onboard?..none...the official called the control room for guidance, ..He says its a Viking long boat, what do we charge? there were many puzzled officials looking down at us from the control tower through their binoculars, the traffic meanwhile was queing up behind, after much haggling and ...get that thing out of here we got away with a car rate charge !

Laughed quite a lot at this!!