Jeep "Road shock"

Great War truck

Question

My Jeep has started behaving a little strange. When i drive over a bump in the road the steering wheel suffers quite a severe shaking which goes on for a few seconds and feels quite uncomfortable. While looking at the manual there is reference to "road shock". What exactly is this and what causes it?

Many thanks

Tim (too)

5 answers to this question

Evening, I had this on my GMC truck, most important is the king pin bearing you must have these in good condition and the correct pre-load on them to give the correct drag when trying to move them, also as previously mentioned all the other steering bushes must be as tight as possible with NO play in them, also check the steering box for correct adjustment so as above you have the correct drag in the box to give the correct loading on the steering, see workshop manual or find out from somewhere what it should be.

Hope this helps it sorted out my truck so it does work..

R Cubed

Thanks guys. A little difference of opinion there, but that might be to me not understanding exactly what road shock is. My line of thinking is that the vibration of going over a bump would be slightly dampened by the little free play that should be in the steering. However, there should not be too much otherwise i will get wandering (wondering?). Similarly, if there is no free play the vibration would be obvious in the steering wheel.

As i have had the steering all apart and back together it might be something that i have done (or left undone, or even done too much!) :dunno:. I have had it up on stands tonight and everything seems to be right. To be on the safe side i will take it all to bits and reset it as per the manual. The Jeep manual also suggests bearings might be incorrectly set, which of course i have also had out, so i will take a look at those and let you know what i find out.

Thanks

Tim (too)