Morris Commercial CS8 help

thedawnpatrol

Hi

I'm just putting my MCC 6 cylinder engine back together, the timing cover has a felt bearing seal where the crank pulley passes through, I'd rather replace this with a modern rubber seal, can anyone tell me what size this needs to be or better still a modern part number for one of these seals please.

Cheers

Jules

Hi

I'm just putting my MCC 6 cylinder engine back together, the timing cover has a felt bearing seal where the crank pulley passes through, I'd rather replace this with a modern rubber seal, can anyone tell me what size this needs to be or better still a modern part number for one of these seals please.

Cheers

Jules

Get hold of some measuring tools , a dial caliper or vernier caliper will do the job. Measure the diameter of the pulley shaft and the outside diameter of the felt housing . Your local bearing supplier may have a modern neoprene seal that will fit .

I have about six CS8 and PU engines and vehicles here but I am yet to do anything with them ! I must be lazy or getting old . My Morris Commercials will have a uncertain future here as nobody is interested in them . Most of the MV collectors over here don't even know that Morris Commercial made military vehicles ! One MV owner asked me " Why do you like that stuff "

Cheers Mike

Jules, I don't think you'll need any very elaborate tools. All the M-C seals that I've come across are very straightforward imperial sizes. The shaft diameter and housing diameter are easy enough to measure so the only dimension you'll have trouble with is the depth, but you should be able to estimate that. If you can't get imperial seals locally they are available on the net.

Mike, to give your M-C fleet a future, simply stuff them all in a container or two and put some postage stamps on it along with my address :D...

Thanks chaps,

I went into my local bearing shop today, though they could source a fit, both chaps there were surprised I was not happy with a felt seal as per original...... They said, cut it tight, use plenty of granite grease and jobs a good one........

What do you recon ?

Cheers

Jules

I suspect they may have said graphite grease!

Is this felt seal already mounted in a metal case like a normal seal, or is it just a length of felt that you fit into a recess?

If you can match a modern lip seal I think you'll probably find it easier to fit and longer lasting.

I suspect they may have said graphite grease!

Is this felt seal already mounted in a metal case like a normal seal, or is it just a length of felt that you fit into a recess?

If you can match a modern lip seal I think you'll probably find it easier to fit and longer lasting.

I agree . A modern seal will be 100% more effective than the felt would ever be . Felt is a natural substance made from rabbit fur . 80 years ago felt was widely used but these days less so . Mike

I wonder if a neoprene seal will still be doing its job in 80 years?

The felt seal has lasted a lot longer than a modern seal would, but not seal as well.

Me, I'd fit the modern seal as well, but be careful about knocking the felt seal's longevity.

Here's the info that I think you need. I've only got a parts book for the CDSW but I guess they and the CS8 both have the same seal, part number LA.7101.

The seal's details, taken from an ancient Payen catalogue:

Inside diam 1 21/32"

Outside diam 2 13/32"

Depth 5/16"

Payen number 5633

Going by those dimensions I'm afraid you'll probably have to stick with felt. It's one of the few M-C seals that are an obscure size. To be honest, felt provides a decent enough seal if it's installed tightly enough. The seal is simply a ring of felt, square in section. If you can get hold of some thick, dense felt it wouldn't be impossible to make one.

I wonder if a neoprene seal will still be doing its job in 80 years?

The felt seal has lasted a lot longer than a modern seal would, but not seal as well.

Me, I'd fit the modern seal as well, but be careful about knocking the felt seal's longevity.

But we don't know if the original felt seal is actually sealing . Has it lasted 80 years of life and done it's job effectively for all of that time , I doubt it .