What colour for 1944 Willys?

Tom M

Can anyone tell me what colour a 1944 Willys MB would have been in British Army service? Also any recommendations on where to get paint?

I have a '44 Willys that is an ex-Airborne Jeep. Does anyone know if they were re-sprayed when the airborne conversions were carried out, or would it have remained in the factory colour?

Thanks,

Can anyone tell me what colour a 1944 Willys MB would have been in British Army service? Also any recommendations on where to get paint?

I have a '44 Willys that is an ex-Airborne Jeep. Does anyone know if they were re-sprayed when the airborne conversions were carried out, or would it have remained in the factory colour?

Thanks,

Some would be repainted but most left in the factory colours I would imagine

A few years after I acquired my British Army Jeep in 1986 I proceeded with a chassis up rebuild and respray in British Mid Bronze Green. As the years went by, it occurred to me that they would have gone into service in the colour that they were delivered in of course. So I've bought some of that nice Firwood brand US light Olive from Jeep Parts UK and am trying to stop rebuilding motorcycles long enough to lift the body off for another re-paint job. Ron

collection 028.jpg

I went for BS381c No 298 olive drab - as a readily availably proxy for SCC15 (the British version of olive drab but more green)- on the basis that the jeep was originally in the M150xxxx series of wartime REME or contractor rebuilds

IMG_1855.jpg

Edited by simon king

I would agree with that Simon. I guess as soon as any paint was applied in a REME workshop it would have been one of the BS colours. I can't image that they would have bothered re-painting them from new. Although they did waist time and money replacing the nice US sealed beam headlamps with the old Butler tractor headlamps. Just so the bulbs were replaceable I gather?? Ron

Some would be repainted but most left in the factory colours I would imagine

Jeeps in UK were usually left in the U.S. colour Olive Drab No.9. The British wartime BS was BS.987C not BS.381C that is being used now for restorations. BS.987C was withdrawn in 1954 and some of the colours in BS.987 were continued into BS.381C. However the 381 colours are NOT the wartime colours, merely their equivalents. BS.298 is somewhat darker and more green than the original BS.987 SCC.15 Olive Drab.