Sherman Firefly Restoration

Packhow75

Hi Tim

Great to see "gaucho" in good hands, I didn't know she had left the range. On the other hand I haven't been there for more than two years.

When I did rediscover her about 10 years ago she looked much better, a few years back there has been a parts search on the range and someone removed the left side bogie in the middle, leaving some big holes in the hull.

That Firefly troop is comming close, would be an awesome sight.;)

Good luck with her.

Michel

Tim,

Sounds like a great buy!

I see Adrian scared you out of the multibank engine :D So what are you going to fit: GM 6046 twin diesel?

There are many technical manuals available, but did you already buy the book The Sherman Firefly by Mark Hayward?

Hanno

Hanno

Thanks... Multibank may be a joy for the future... But first i want the rest done and driving.

I have that book thanks and several other docs from various sources.

Am sure it will eventually give me many hours of pleasure... When do we invade the Netherlands again?

Cheers

Tim

• 1 year later...

An update... hull stripped down... now hunting parts.

Have decided on the Ford GAA engine until a multibank comes along.

Key parts still required:

Elevation Mechanism

Recoil Deflector

Breech Block, Firing Mechanism and extractors

Mantlet

Semi-Automation gear (bolts under breech assembly)

Breech auto-open spring mechanism

Junction Box Distribution No 3 (Wireless 19)

Battery Selector Switch (for Wireless set power)

Telescope mount (bolts to side of gun mount)

Gunner's seat

Commander's seats

There are probably a few more, but until I can get inside a complete firefly somewhere to see what else might be missing... it's hard to be 100% certain what else is needed which is not a standard Sherman part.

Some pictures to be going on with...

Plan to start rebuild September 2017.

Tim

P1010245.jpg

P1010192-1.jpg

P1010199.jpg

• 7 years later...

Long overdue an update... i stick most stuff on facebook here - www.facebook.com/t289477.

I was recently fortunate to obtain some photos of the vehicle on the firing range from Michel Van Loon, here fyi which give a better idea of the condition of the vehicle and parts at the start. Lots of patterns, but few serviceable items.

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

• Like 5

As of now, I lose track of the number of hours of research carried out to determine what parts are, when they were produced, how and where to get them copied, what the vehicle history is, finding manuals and associated documentation etc... I suspect though considering I have around 9,000 photos and 100gb of material on just the Firefly now, the number must be in the thousands.

For anyone who has tackled these types of projects, often it appears there is very little progress, the hull/chassis sits seemingly abandoned with apparently nothing going on. Far from the truth though. Over the years we have acquired patterns and drawings to remanufacture all the tin-work inside the vehicle, and the parts have been test-fitted.

In addition to repair of manufacture, we've tracked down a huge amount of original firefly parts, including a serviceable turret basket and complete 17pdr mk VII... and even (thanks Adrian B... I think) got a stack of A57 multibank parts, sufficient to consider having the correct engine one day, though this will be after the tank is finished (using the GAA engine)

Of course there are still some pieces to find, fortunately the list is tiny compared to where we started. Key to ideally find (though they can of course be made if required):

• Gunner's telescope mount
  • Rear engine deck barrel clamp
  • Commander's lower seat bracket
  • Turret roof lining/head crash pads
  • Stowage for top of battery box 
  • Any A57 multibank parts, including radiator and accessories.

Current progress... we are on track to having the vehicle driving at the 30 Corps event in the Netherlands in September.

My thanks to Willy and Celine Rouhalde, The "Ghost Mechanic" team for putting up with my OCD and all their hard work to date to deliver the restoration so far.

Tim

received_338386139118186.jpeg

received_391831226626911.jpeg

T2895477-MAR23-Hull-1.jpeg

Edited by Packhow75
error
  • Like 15

On 2/2/2024 at 11:42 AM, Mk3iain said:

Fantastic stuff and what an effort. I and others are not on Facebook so this is good to see on here, the more the merrier.

Keep it coming please !

Thanks - I will endeavour to pop an update here a bit more frequently.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

It is all in the detail...

Having tried for quite some time to acquire a "Commander's Engine Emergency Stop Box"... I concluded the answer would be to make one.

This is a British Modification applied to Shermans in British service (and those supplied to the Commonwealth), to allow the turret crew a means of shutting down the engine in the event the driver was unable to.

After securing the loan of a pattern, this is the end result - repro left, original right.

20240222_201700.thumb.jpg.1464cd503536a0cc350f97025440eaec.jpg

NB - Quite a few British AFV mods (especially on the Firefly), have been borrowed from other equipment of the 30s/40s and repurposed.

I have some extra parts made due to MQ requirements with the manufacturer which are for sale. If anyone needs one, please PM me.

Tim

• Like 3

According to Someone's law, this was of course inevitable.

Having spent years trying to find the Emergency Stop box, and then resorting to making reproductions once I found a pattern to borrow, a 1942 dated original new old stock one turns up.

Not a total waste of time and effort as a number of other restoration projects have benefitted... but for mine, it will be the original part now... and I have the right switch too.

TimESBox-NOS.thumb.jpg.fbc734c17332793a663ee51d7645d288.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

More parts - 3 x 2in smoke bomb boxes (1 goes on the turret wall, and 2 on the floor of the turret basket)

Excellent reproductions made by Adrian Barrell - if anyone needs any, please contact Adrian directly.

Tim

Messenger_creation_7172973512508132413.jpeg

• Like 4