A pole for Ferret oil filters Diaper vs element

joeferret

For you Ferret owners do you use the old style diaper oil filter or the new style drop in element ?

My 1954 Ferret MK1 came with the old diaper type and I replaced it with a cartridge type..I am now going back to the old diaper type filters...The diaper type are about 1 inch longer than the element type...I would like to hear your technical information on them why you use one and not the other..

Thank you

Are you talking about different types of filter element within the existing filter bowl, or a screw-on cartridge to replace it?

Andy

Good point Andy I am talking about the drop in cartridge into the existing filter bowl vs the old diaper/blanket type...

Thank you

The paper cartridge element is Tecalmit FA2688 & I think Crossland 432 (B674)

There are two types made from nappy material:

The common one open both ends is British Filters LF3F, NSN 2940-99-800-8003 later quoted as LF3/35, NSN 2940-99-800-8051.

The other is closed one end LF2/31B or sometimes stated as just LF3, NSN 2940-99-800-8043. (Sometimes quoted with the DMC 6M51 which is a typo for 6MT1). This one is intended for early engines that had no bypass in the filter mount.

This looks similar to the situation with filters for the K60 used in FV430s where there seems to be three different types of element, all apparently interchangeable. They also all look suspiciously similar to the B series filters even though they have different NSNs.

Andy

Edited by andym

This is the type that most people DON'T need.

DSCF2395.jpg

DSCF2394.jpg

Some of them look to be of recent manufacture.

DSCF2396.jpg

That's the one that I refer to as the diaper/blanket filter...I had that in when I bought my Ferret then went to Crossland #432...Now I went back to this one in your picture...It is 1 inch longer than the Crossland....Different old REME mechanics I spoke with say just use the diaper one.....Besides being messy why do you dislike it Clive ? I am just trying for a discussion to get the opinion of people and not to argue so I appreciate what anyone can add....Thank you...

why do you dislike it Clive ?

Joe because it is the filter designed for the early filter case that has no by-pass valve, the felt is blind at one end.

I use this type, which I imagine is what is intended for most people's filters.

DSC08345 (Medium).JPG

DSC08347 (Medium).JPG

DSC08340 (Medium).JPG

DSC08343 (Medium).JPG

Joe because it is the filter designed for the early filter case that has no by-pass valve, the felt is blind at one end.

I use this type, which I imagine is what is intended for most people's filters.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101600[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101601[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101599[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101602[/ATTACH]

Clive,

I see what you mean about the closed end..I had read about that a few months ago..That would be bad restricting oil flow....Mine has an opening hole on the bottom and a large hole on top surrounded by about 6 smaller holes...Being that it is 1 inch longer than the Crossland #432 I was wondering if it does a better job of filtering the oil ????

I was wondering if it does a better job of filtering the oil ????
Sorry Joe no idea which is best. I just use felt as I have them & that is what was originally quoted for my vehicle. I have seen examples of paper filters fitted to Pigs in N.Ireland, but whether that was an improvement or because of unavailability of original spares I don't know.

The manual states to wash it in petrol, but I like a new filter with new oil. They aren't cheap though.

Cheers,

Terry

I'm with you Terry.I did have the privilege of speaking with a couple old REME guys and they swear by the old method they said use it and clean it....I'm not considered a rich person but will put a new filter on myself...All depends what people believe in...Like I said earlier the Crossland #432 is about 1 inch shorter than the diaper type....I would think that by it being that much shorter when the oil comes in it won't filter as well as going thru the longer diaper one that was originally made for it...

Anyone else with opinions ?

I just bought my original style oil filters from Bannisters..

In this thread I am not trying to pit anyone against anyone else.....I just admire so called back yard mechanics and what they do to keep their Ferret going.....I am wondering of the small countries that still use Ferrets how often they do the oil changes....All ideas are welcomed..

...Like I said earlier the Crossland #432 is about 1 inch shorter than the diaper type....I would think that by it being that much shorter when the oil comes in it won't filter as well as going thru the longer diaper one that was originally made for it...

The length isn't necessarily a reflection of the filter's effectiveness. The 432 may well be made of a considerably more efficient filtration medium, or because of the way it's designed it might present as much surface area, or more, to the oil as the longer original.

It's also likely that your Ferret in preservation will be better looked after, get oil changes more frequently and be used considerably more gently than in service, all of which would make filtration much less critical.

• 2 weeks later...
The length isn't necessarily a reflection of the filter's effectiveness. The 432 may well be made of a considerably more efficient filtration medium, or because of the way it's designed it might present as much surface area, or more, to the oil as the longer original.

It's also likely that your Ferret in preservation will be better looked after, get oil changes more frequently and be used considerably more gently than in service, all of which would make filtration much less critical.

Sean being that the 432 filter is 1 inch shorter in length than the diaper /blanket type when the element is placed in the filter container it sits on the bottom of the container and it just seems to me that doing so the oil coming in from the engine could bypass over the top and go back out the outlet pipe to the engine unfiltered......

That's what I am really wondering about....I'm not a good mechanic so I am trying to figure this out..Thanks...

There should be a spring holding the filter against the top of the housing (if it's been correctly assembled!)

Andy

Well it very well may be missing..I'll take it apart and check it...Thank you for the valuable advice...I'll let you know.....

Andy the User Handbook pg.57 shows what you are talking about in the figure parts #9,10,11,12....Also it is showing a CANISTER type filter......My 1954 Ferret came with the Diaper/Blanket type of oil filter....Did those original types have this spring also or just the shorter canister types ?

thank you Sir

This is the relevant page from the Stalwart ISPL which I believe to be the same filter. Note that it shows a blanket-type element with a spring.

Engine Oil Filter.jpg

On my Stalwart the spring was in place, assisted by a curious variety of incorrect and/or missing washers. Banisters managed to produce the correct parts in double-quick time.

Andy