interstart socket wireing

David Ives

Question

11 answers to this question

If you intend to use it for starting, take it direct to the batteries with the shortest heaviest cable you can find. Think jump cable size and be careful with the wiring, a dead short across a pair of 12V batteries would be both lethal and spectacular.

Andy

Any idea on the current rating that these sockets are rated to? I was going to put one on my charger with start function, but no idea if it's rated high enough.

A Hawker 6TNMF battery will deliver 1225A starting current and they seem happy enough with that. You shouldn't have any problem with a battery charger, even in "start" mode.

Andy

Any idea on the current rating that these sockets are rated to? I was going to put one on my charger with start function, but no idea if it's rated high enough.

Maximum Contact Current Ratings:

1000 amps for 6 minutes at 24v D.C.

Rated Current: 500 amps

Voltage Rating: 110V DC.

Contact Resistance: 0.5 milliohms max.

Temperature Rating: -55°C to +100°C.

http://www.aerco.co.uk/store/category/connectors%20-%20circular/connectors,%20circular,%20ab/~/dbfile.axd?name=SBORD_Catalogue.pdf

-------------

Jump cables are just as heavy on a winterized Lightweight as for a tank LoL

Well on top of the job...they are used on Chieftain and Challenger for starting, never burnt a plug or socket out. The only faulty ones I've ever seen have been disconnected under load or the bolts inside the plugs have come lose (check they are tight).

when they are on the vehicles where are they positioned just on the batterys or inline permantly

Not quite sure exactly what you are asking, but I will have a go at answering anyway. In all cases the inter vehicle socket is wired in parallel with the batteries and the vehicle electrics. On some they are connected directly to the batteries an example being my Combat Engineer Tractor, even when the battery isolator is turned off the socket is still connected to the batteries. On others the socket is connected on the vehicle side of the battery isolator switch, an example being my Scammell Crusader, so with the isolator turned off the socket is also isolated from the vehicle batteries. Obviously on a vehicle without a battery isolator switch the socket is directly connected to the batteries, an example being my US Army 2 1/2 Ton Reo.

There are primarily 2 different types, NATO the type seen on most British / European Military vehicles (the concentric round ones ) and US 2 pin. However there is some cross over due to current capacity some heavier US vehicles use the NATO type and some US 2 pin can be seen used for auxiliary power connection on British / European vehicles.

There is also a plug in adaptor which will convert the 2 pin to the NATO concentric type.

Edited by antar