Licence Help

Scoobster

Hi There

I need a little help i have used the search button and have read a few threads about Driving Licences but i'm still confused :? :? :?

I'm 29 and have a Class B Licence as i passed after 1997 so i can drive vehicles up to 3500kg

So reading between the lines of one thread it looks like that if the vehicle is Pre 1960 that i would be OK to drive it even if it was over 3500kg

But on the thread it looked to say that even if it was pre 1960 i would need to take the extra test for Class C1

can anyone shed a little light on this for me? i'm going to be looking for a Dodge WC very soon which i would guess would be pre 1960 but as i have said above if i can't drive over 3500kg i would need to get the WC51 without the winch and if i can drive over 3500kg i could go for a WC52 is that correct?

Thanks Guys & Girls

Ah right i thought i noticed it somewhere saying that with the winch the WC52 was over the 3500kg limit but if it's not then thats very good news :-D

Its a question on what's on the papers.

Here in the Netherlands it would say something like this;

Unladen 2250 Kilo, admissible cargo 1250.

Official the cargo is 750 kilo so no problem with the papers I'd say.

A WC 62/63 is about 3200Kilo (?) so weight would say 300 kilo, so you could drive it on a normal license (max 3500 kg).

I even know a Ferret in the Netherlands with a weight (on the papers) of 3490 kilo so its OK for a normal license....offcourse you couldn't drive it officially because you need to weigh no more than 10 kilo then!!!

Would be a legal battle if he gets in a accident.....

• 2 months later...

With a B licence you cannot drive anything with a plated or actual weight over 3500kg and having not more than 8 seats. It does not matter how old the vehicle is. For anything else, you need to take another DSA driving test which will include medical, theory test and practical test and get the provisional category put onto your licence.

C1 will enable you to drive between 3500 - 7500kg (including any trailer not exceeding 750kg)

C will enable you to drive over 7500kg

If you are going to take your C1 licence, you may as well take full class C.

For towing any trailer exceeding 750kg, you will need to take a trailer test.

Hope this helps

Unfortunatley the only people who can help are DVLA, guess who are a very unhelpful bunch? try talking to AA od RAC they might help. The WC51/52 are technically 2 seaters, which means technically you shouldn't carry people in the back. however thanks to the pre 1964 bit you can get away with it as seat belts aren't needed.

I am assuming from your posting and the responses that you are UK based and therefore come within the remit of UK law.

The answer about the authorities being unhelpful forgot to add that they like to keep you hanging on the phone for so long that you hang up in frustration.

I run my own distribution business, my fleet includes seven & a half tonners and above. I can probably help with questions about Operator's licencing, driving licences and the like. My knowledge of military vehicles however, is very limited. I would need to know every detail of said vehicle, chapter and verse, to give you the information you need.

For example, a 3500kg gross means exactly that. If, for instance, someone bought a delivery van for conversion to a camper. All the fixtures and fittings,

plus the unladenweight of the van, plus the fuel, plus the occupants, plus their luggage, plus anything else you load onto it, MUST NOT exceed 3500kg.

It's unlikely that you would be caught for such an infringement, but as mentioned previously, if you should be involved in a collision, whether you were culpable or not, an overweight vehicle can make your insurance null and void.

If you want any info about your driving licence and what you can or can't drive with it, I would need to know, when you passed your driving test. You may have what is known as "Grandfather Rights," to drive up to 7500kg.

Just going to straighten my head, you posted those details. Doh! :banghead:

A lot of rubbish is spoken about this subject..... Basically, a goods vehicle, pre 1960, used unladen, is exempt from plating and testing. This also exempts the driver from needing a C licence to drive it. A WC52 is 2250 unladen and 3000 laden so you can drive it on your licence and it does need an MOT and you can put things in it.

The important point taken from the link posted by Andy Lee

goods vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer

I carry a paper copy of the document with me just incase I come across a know it all Policeman :police:, who thinks my truck is too big for me to drive :roll: ( I am 25 and the Chev weighs 3.7 tons ish)