Replacing seals - Saracen Accumulators

trophy160

I have a replacement set of seals for my accumulators, I read somewhere that one needed a heavy vice and a large pair of stillsons to remove the end caps. Armed with my recently acquired set of 36" stillsons, I tried to unscrew the end caps from my spare accumulator tonight. The stillsons gripped well but my medium sized vice was not man enough for the job and the accumulator just turned. Assuming I can find someone with a heavy duty vice, do people think this is the best way to remove the end caps, I presume there is no way I'm going to distort the body of the accumulator by heaving it up REALLY tightly in a vice?

Another related question - if I wanted to remove (for some time) the accumulators I would want to blank off the hydraulic lines. Does anyone know what size and thread I would need to screw into the union I have circled in the photo?

DSC00075.jpg

Unless you're planning on driving it without accumulators, I would just slip a small plastic bag over the end of the pipe and hold it on with a zip-tie or electrical tape; that will stop crap getting into the pipe in a cost effective manner.

Cheers,

Terry

Unless you're planning on driving it without accumulators, I would just slip a small plastic bag over the end of the pipe and hold it on with a zip-tie or electrical tape; that will stop crap getting into the pipe in a cost effective manner.

Cheers,

Terry

Depending on the ID of the steel pipe, we use GOLF TEE' s, plastic, won't damage, long enough to get a grip of if in too tight and tapered fit! Always keep couple in my tool box, but as mentioned, only to stop the crud getting in, don't drive it like that unless you want the insides oil coated to prevent rust!!

Yes, air will get into the system the second you undo the connections. You'll need to bleed it off once you reassemble it. Unless you plan on leaving it that way for an extended period, a little air won't hurt the lines or the fluid.

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks both, so from your answers I'm assuming that a 100% seal is not required (assuming vehicle not in use) my concern was that air would get drawn into the system.

Hi Nic,

I would not worry about air, unless you were to remove the pipe and lose a lot of oil. If you think about it, the gas in your accumulators rarely leaks externally, it leaks in to the hydraulic system and no issues there. What little air that might get in the system will purge out in use.

regards,

Richard

Hi Richard, yes that's a very good point. So I just need to get the end caps of the accumulator now, there's a big vice on eBay that I have my eye so hopefully that will resolve that problem.

Nic,

You also need to fit the vice to something sturdy. In the days when we were doing a lot of Saracen and Saladin work in the REME workshops, the fitters would be very pleased if a Leyland Recovery was around as the vice on the front bumper was better than a bench, nearly impossible to tip a Leyland over!

I have a replacement set of seals for my accumulators, I read somewhere that one needed a heavy vice and a large pair of stillsons to remove the end caps. Armed with my recently acquired set of 36" stillsons, I tried to unscrew the end caps from my spare accumulator tonight. The stillsons gripped well but my medium sized vice was not man enough for the job and the accumulator just turned. Assuming I can find someone with a heavy duty vice, do people think this is the best way to remove the end caps, I presume there is no way I'm going to distort the body of the accumulator by heaving it up REALLY tightly in a vice?

Another related question - if I wanted to remove (for some time) the accumulators I would want to blank off the hydraulic lines. Does anyone know what size and thread I would need to screw into the union I have circled in the photo?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100491[/ATTACH]

We had a tool made with the four pins as seen in the photo, lever 1 meter long, very affective.

Oh and a big vice.

Hi Nic, might be worth trying a little heat on the endcaps, just enough to expand them slightly, then tapping around the cap with a hammer to loosen the thread. Depending on what you use to heat it, heat gun or gas flame, there may be a risk of fire, depending on how much fluid inside. They've been on for a few years so probably just tight, shouldn't be any corrosion.

New BIG 6 inch vice plus old 4 inch vice + heat + 36" stillson = success!

Threads all nice and clean, so not really clear why it was so tight. There seems no engineering reason for it being that tight, the threaded ring/end cap simply holds a machined plug plus seal in place. The seal does the sealing, not the torque of the end cap.

• 3 weeks later...
New BIG 6 inch vice plus old 4 inch vice + heat + 36" stillson = success!

Threads all nice and clean, so not really clear why it was so tight. There seems no engineering reason for it being that tight, the threaded ring/end cap simply holds a machined plug plus seal in place. The seal does the sealing, not the torque of the end cap.

Just to be safe, why not put some teflon tape on the thread before tightening the cap again?