What does it mean...

brh

Question

5 answers to this question

Forgive the continued ignorance of a 'newbie' but what does 'CVR' stand for :?

I could hazard a guess but that might demonstrate how truly ignorant I am.

Brian

Combat Vehicle, Reconnaissance.

Usually qualified as CVR(W) or CVR(T).

CVR(W) (Wheeled) is Fox armoured car issued to UK Recce Regiments in the 1970s and scrapped in the early 90s.

CVR(T) (Tracked) comprises a family of vehicles on a single suspension and a discrete number of hulls.

Scorpion was the main recce vehicle, armed with a 76mm gun used for divisional recce squadrons (the name has changed over the years). It was scrapped in the early 90s because (the general consensus says) firing the 76mm gun, which auto-ejected the empty case after firing, flooded the turret with carbon monoxide. Those of us who fired them and experienced splitting headaches all agree.

Scimitar is essentially identical apart from being armed with a 30mm Rarden cannon. It was planned to be used as close recce at the battlegroup level.

When Scorpion and Fox were both scrapped, the former's hull and the latter's turret were mated to produce a hybrid, functionally identical to Scimitar called Sabre. It is my understanding (but I could be wrong) that when the Scorpions were scrapped, even with the Sabre stopgap, there was a significant shortfall and I believe that a further run of Scimitars may have been ordered, but I have absolutely no evidence of this.

Two CVR(T)s have (had) large hulls: the Sultan armoured command vehicle and the Samaritan armoured ambulance.

Remaining CVR(T)s had a hull somewhere in size between Scorpion and Sultan:

Spartan armoured personnel carrier;

Striker anti-tank guided missile launch platform;

Samson armoured recovery vehicle (I think: I never saw one of know of one ever being on any regiments order of battle).

They are aluminium-hulled and extremely fast. Since I lived and worked on them they have been greatly modified and enhanced. Come to think of it, I recently learned that armoured regiments are being equipped with a Medium Armoured Squadron each of Scimitars, basically to keep regimental size realistic without having too many Challenger 2 tanks.

Forgive the continued ignorance of a 'newbie' but what does 'CVR' stand for :?

I could hazard a guess but that might demonstrate how truly ignorant I am.

Brian

Hi Brian.

Not a problem - just keep firing away..........I think it may be wise for someone to draw up a list of what they all mean as I was duly told off be Dave or was it Steve for get his FV 434 wrong :computerterror:

Now I know - thanks 'AlienFTM' for the explanation'. :-)

Jack - a glossary page (that could be added to by members as and when a new word surfaced) would be a :goodidea:.

Lee - when I get my Ferret will it grow up to be a Fox too????

Brian

Now I know - thanks 'AlienFTM' for the explanation'. :-)

Jack - a glossary page (that could be added to by members as and when a new word surfaced) would be a :goodidea:.

Lee - when I get my Ferret will it grow up to be a Fox too????

Brian

Good a place as any for explanations would be to visit here:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/ARRSEPedia_Intro

It's a (generally) military wikipaedia run by the Army Rumour Service (my alternative skive site).