Sherman tank at Winston Open Cast Coal Site

Pzkpfw-e

Looks like a M4A2 to me. Another great example of "Shermans into ploughshares"!

Sherman tank

Ian Hutchinson driving an early 1950's Sherman tank pulling a scraper box at Winston Open Cast Coal Site, near Staindrop.

County: Co Durham

NEG20942

attachment.php?attachmentid=98425&stc=1

Sherman tank pulling a scraper box working at Winston Open Cast site, driven by Ian Hutchinson. 500hp twin engine, 30 mph over rough gound.

NEG20938

attachment.php?attachmentid=98426&stc=1

Ian Hutchinson of Mickleton - driver of Sherman tank used at Winston Open Cast site near Staindrop. 500hp twin engine, 30 mph over rough ground.

NEG20937

attachment.php?attachmentid=98427&stc=1

image-NEG20942-L.jpg

image-NEG20938-L.jpg

image-NEG20937-L.jpg

Edited by mcspool

It was North Tees Colliery :-

http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/n004.htm

Born & bred in the area , as lads we used to get on out bikes & go off to OCCS to watch the plant working esp. drag-lines , I do recall cadging rides on Vickers Vigor but don't recall Sherman.

Often strip-mining (as well as restoration work) with box-scraper was used at old Board & Wall pits to get at stacks (pillars of coal left holding the roof) , some fields had props holding corrugated sheets up only 6ft or 8ft under the surface.

My memory serves me bad here , ISTR that North Tees was in fact Long Wall mining & that miners were seen walking to & fro in full kit as late as 1968 , leading me to think that when the NCB pulled out it was private underground mined by the under 30 man rule and then strip-mined . I would therefore guestimate those photographs at abt. 1970 or very early 1970's , don't recall any box-cuts there involving drag-lines at all. Unfortunately - in mid 1970 I went off to sea as a Junior Engineer , so would not have been around .

Hutchinson is a common local name , I guess Ian Huthinson is / was related to the Hutchinson family who built & still run a garage The Mickleton Service Station - I guess they may be able to tell you more..

These Shermans were run by George Rotinoff as part of his open cast mining operation. The same man who built Rotinoff trucks.

Ah yes, that explains the "O" in the background of Ian Hutchinson.

From my webpage "Shermans into ploughshares":

plsh_rotinoff.jpg

Among the companies that did conversions were Rotinoff Construction Ltd of Poyle, Buckinghamshire.

This company marketed a simple bulldozer conversion on the basis of a turretless M4A2 Sherman tank.

George Rotinoff was involved in piling and concrete, in a business started by his father which merged with another company to form West Rotinoff Piling & Construction. He left the business in 1944 and started his own company, Rotinoff Construction and operated opencast coal mines in Northumberland. It was in 1946 that he started converting Shermans to tractors and dozers for his own companies use. The site at Poyle, mentioned was an ex-Ministry of Supply tank repair base and he bought that around this time to maintain and construct his equipment.

There was an article with photos in a recent Vintage Roadscene magazine.

Fascinating thread .....I've seen the picture of an orange Sherman ploughing a few years ago but...apart from that one.... did any of these others survive maybe ?....or are they still perhaps lingering in a forgotten corner of a far flung plant yard somewhere ? ...

The orange one here?

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?16255-shervick/page2

I am now of the opinion that the Winston O.C.C.S. operation by Rotinoff must have been in the 1950's , probably small private mine clearing - well clear of the NCB pit.

The only thing presently, I can find is that Rotinoff were at Perkinsville in 1950's :-

http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/p707.htm

Rotinoff Construction Ltd. evolved into Lomount Mining (themselves just part of a larger construction group) , Lomount always had large sites and were direct contract to the NCB Opencast Executive - the last Lomount / NCB site that I recall was a few miles south of Lanchester and must have lasted several years until abt. 1990