London to Brighton Run (HCVS)

We did the London to Brighton Run yesterday with the Peterbilt tractor unit and my WLF.

I used 25 litres of diesel from the farm to B'ton seafront which works out as approx. 10mpg. I'm very pleased with that, especially as it was a stop-start route on country lanes and through villages. We came back up the motorway cruising at a comfortable 40 mph, including steaming up Handcross Hill in top gear. I lurve diesels!

Other MVs included an Austin K9, Tilly, swb S1 LR, Dodge WC, Scammell Pioneer gun tractor and my star of the show - a solid tyred 1914 Daimler 'Y' type lorry in WD colours. There were a lot of other interesting vehicles there including a solid tyred Pierce Arrow with a van body which may have been a former liberty truck.

There was also an Austin A35 painted up as the 'Anti-Pesto SWAT team' van from Wallace and Gromit's Curse of the Were Rabbit.

I'd have liked to have been in Salisbury but it was a good show nonetheless.

Mike,

Sorry I missed you, the first Brighton i've missed since 1987 thanks to work. But it leaves me to free to be at Kelvedon in two weeks and to be in Flanders next weekend. My brother in law Roger says the WLF looked great. Glad to hear it.

cheers,

Mark

Aha, I can help you there.

width=640 height=315http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/DSCN3861_tmp.jpg[/img]

This one survived in a very original (and running) unrestored state until quite recently. I think it sold in 2005 and was professionally restored. The end result is lovely, it goes (i understand) very well and the engine is remarkably quiet. For another photo see the canvas bucket topic.

Tim (too)

I used 25 litres of diesel from the farm to B'ton seafront which works out as approx. 10mpg. I'm very pleased with that, especially as it was a stop-start route on country lanes and through villages. We came back up the motorway cruising at a comfortable 40 mph, including steaming up Handcross Hill in top gear. I lurve diesels!

Mike that is a great return on fuel, that really could open ownership of these beauties and is better MPG then my GMC :cry:

Thank you Tim (too). I'm ashamed to admit that the only pic I took the entire day was of my own truck.

We spent a long time crawling under and around the Daimler comparing it with the near-identical AECo 'Y' type bus that my friend is doing up. I really liked the way the Daimler had been restored: the work had been done sympathetically using as much of the original as possible. Non-structural corroded metal parts had been cleaned and painted but not filled so the old pitting shows through, and the woodwork which had been bashed and chipped is just sealed and painted leaving the war wounds showing. The restoration perfectly captures the essence of a hard worked old truck.

Mike that is a great return on fuel, that really could open ownership of these beauties and is better MPG then my GMC :cry:

I dipped the tank this evening and worked out I got nearly 12.5mpg on the way home without all the stopping and starting. It would have been even better if I'd cruised just a bit slower but I was anxious to get home before the heavens opened :roll:

I'm seeing more and more diesel conversions on the rally scene - some better than others (both in terms of choice of engine and quality of installation). Perhaps that's the niche I should be going for :whistle:

We spent a long time crawling under and around the Daimler comparing it with the near-identical AECo 'Y' type bus that my friend is doing up.

Who is your friend? I expect that Steve might know him. I have not seen the Daimler yet, Tony and Steve made the HCVS run and had a good look at it. I was off shooting a BAR instead. Too many things to do, not enough time.

A few years ago we found the remains of an AEC Y type in Dorset and directed a chap who was restoring one to it for the axle and steering box i think it was. i wonder if it is the same chap.

All the best

Tim (too)

Mike what lump have you in there and why was that your choice of engine?

It's a 1994 Cummins C series Turbodiesel. Approx. 220hp from 8.3litres. I rebuilt it with majority new or re-con components so it's basically an almost new engine.

I chose it because it was the largest American engine which would fit straight in the hole without having to cut or modify the truck. As can be seen from the photo there's 5mm of clearance between the crankshaft damper pulley and the front crossmember. Just enough space to get the accessory drive belt in and out! I wanted an American engine because the bellhousings are SAE which makes the conversion so much easier as they will go straight on the original gearboxes. It also makes clutches and pressure plates much easier to source.

Time will tell whether the transmission will take the extra power (100+hp extra) and I'm having issues with the clutch dragging but I now have about 1500 miles on the engine and I'm still smiling :-)

Who is your friend? I expect that Steve might know him. I have not seen the Daimler yet, Tony and Steve made the HCVS run and had a good look at it. I was off shooting a BAR instead. Too many things to do, not enough time.

A few years ago we found the remains of an AEC Y type in Dorset and directed a chap who was restoring one to it for the axle and steering box i think it was. i wonder if it is the same chap.

All the best

Tim (too)

Tim,

They do know each other as we were talking about you guys in B'ton! I won't post his name here but they've certainly done deals in the past. Was that the chassis that was in a river at the bottom of a ravine and they had to use a tractor to pull it out through a forest? happy days... :roll:

Did Tony and Steve take a vehicle down or were they just visiting? I was parked almost next door to the Daimler Y, shame we didn't know they were there.

No, we didn't take anything this year. Have not done so for quite a few years now. We always intended to take the FWD when completed, but it does not seem to run very well and we have got stuck into the new project as opposed to sorting it out.

Anyway, Steve had a chat with Paul, so they had an opportunity to compare notes.

It must have been the same Y Type that you recovered. there cant be many that were pushed off a ravine in Dorset. Here is what it looked like when Tony first went to see it:

width=288 height=192http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/AECChassis5.jpg[/img]

width=288 height=192http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/AECChassis3.jpg[/img]

Not a lot to see. I guess it finally fell to bits in the drop. Which bits did you recover and how did you get them back up the slope?

Sorry, i didn't comment on your WLF. A fine piece of work. What condition is the original engine in now?

All the best

Tim (too)

Aha, I can help you there.

width=640 height=315http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/DSCN3861_tmp.jpg[/img]

This one survived in a very original (and running) unrestored state until quite recently. I think it sold in 2005 and was professionally restored. The end result is lovely, it goes (i understand) very well and the engine is remarkably quiet. For another photo see the canvas bucket topic.

Tim (too)

Nice!!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Nice indeed!

@TooTallMike, that new engine sure makes driving around a lot cheaper! I'm still thinking of installing a gastank. I won't get more mpg but it's more then 50% cheaper per litre.

How much did the enigine set you back?

I must emphasise that my reason for doing the engine conversion was not to do with fuel economy, that was merely a pleasing by-product of the conversion (in fact I've already saved back the cost of the engine in fuel savings). I did it because the original 22R petrol engine was hideously underpowered and the truck was embarrassingly slow. My mind was made up when we were in Bethune and I got left behind by the rest of the convoy going up a hill. :embarassed:

I've not driven a Dodge as I can't get my long legs behind the steering wheel but I imagine they must have plenty of power? If so, I'd go for a gas conversion as there must be lots of space under the chassis for tanks etc.