Jeep adjustment?

woa2

Although I have been involved with Military Vehicles for many years, I have never owned a wartime Jeep. Thinking I might rectify this, I took an opertunity to sit in one earlier this year. The problem I have is that I couldn't drive it as the steering wheel pushed into my stomach. I know I am over-weight, but not that fat! These vehicles were built for Americans, so how did they drive them as they are not the most slimest of people. Is there any adjustment on them to allow for the more fuller figure? Can any of you with Jeeps help with my question?

.....These vehicles were built for Americans, so how did they drive them as they are not the most slimest of people. .....

American soldiers weren't fat, they were in their late teens and twenties, and fit; and looking back on myself at that age, I wasn't fat either! Middle aged spread hasn't been to kind to me in recent years though!

I saw a picture of a jeep that had the drivers seat supports cut, and extended rearward by about 6 inches. This also involved cutting into the rear wheel arch to accomodate the seats new backrest position.

There is no built in adjustment.

I can still fit behind my jeep wheel, but because of my long legs, I have to get my right knee under the steering column before sitting on the seat, or it won't fit past!

Steve