Hello all & Help Needed??

maxwell

Hi people,

I've a 51 Hotchkiss Jeep, Just started making weird clunking noise from grearbox I think? When clutch pressed down no noise, But when lifted either when in or out of gear clunking noise appears!! Any help in figuring out what it is & how to fix would appreciated??

Thanks

If you do the job your self a rebuild on the gear box should be around £300-£350 mark in parts be wary of cheaper reproduction components the tolerance and quality can be questionable. Check all parts against factory specs and replace if required, don't short cut this as you'll only waste your time and money. Check the transfer case for worn components and seals while everything is on the bench.

Pete

Could be the release bearings on the clutch or the clutch itself. , much cheaper. Still an engine out job. Does the pedal feel normal when operting? I don't know how the clutch on one them works, is it Hydraulic or mechanical, if so check adjusters. Also get a crowbar and check engine and gearbox mounts.

Edited by Tony B