DVLA - Big sigh.....

Try this one:

I run a 1941 U.S. Staff car on a historic plate with no MOT. Not a problem.

I buy an interesting correct era registration plate from a reputable dealer, pay them to do the transfer application.

Dealer comes back and says DVLA require an MOT before they will transfer the reg. I say car is taxed historic no MOT needed, they go back to DVLA but get same response.

So I say ok just put it on a retention certificate and give me a letter to say you tried, paid fee and got MOT required response from DVLA, and I'll sort it myself.

So - anyone else had this problem, and can any of you advise how you managed to resolve your similar issues with DVLA?

I can't help thinking if I could only get to the right person at DVLA they could sort this easily for me.

Big sigh........

I've been down this route too, same answer, DVLA say any transfer of a cherished number either applying it to, or removing it from or transfering it to another vehicle the vehicles have to be MOT'd, even exempt historic ones, just to squeeze a bit more money out of you for the MOT plus the transfer fee!

Edited by Nick Johns

Absolutely correct

The note sent by the DVLA regarding MOT exemption (I published it on here in November 2012) clearly states that the cherished transfer sceme will still be allowed providing the vehicle undergoes a voluntary MOT

It goes on to say

"This is to ensure that vehicles are still in existence and prevent fraudulent claims for attractive marks"

So nothing new really, maybe just a case of not understanding the rules??

note this was not edited by me - I went to reply by quoting and inadvertently hit Edit on Brooky's post by mistake - have removed my comment and added separately! N.O.S.

Edited by N.O.S.

What I had planned to say was - I sent a copy of the current tax disc for the vehicle to which I wanted to transfer the number - can't see why proof of the vehicle existing should be any greater than when anyone routinely re-taxes a historic vehicle. But then again not much makes sense any more in this ridiculously complicated world.

No problem, I'll get an MOT. Like I said - 'Big sigh'..........:D

What I had planned to say was - I sent a copy of the current tax disc for the vehicle to which I wanted to transfer the number - can't see why proof of the vehicle existing should be any greater than when anyone routinely re-taxes a historic vehicle. But then again not much makes sense any more in this ridiculously complicated world.

No problem, I'll get an MOT. Like I said - 'Big sigh'..........:D

Rule is rules!!!!

(Especially with the DVLA!!)

Just to add my bit in as well, yes I had the same problem when doing it the other way round and taking an old plate off my 1946 BSA and putting it on my everyday Range Rover, I have owned the BSA for 30 years but still had to MOT it before they would allow the plate to come off.

So what about something like a tracked vehicle that you can't MOT anyway?

Andy

Apparently it is Not possible to change the registration, or transfer the reg number from vehicles of the type NOT MOTable eg. tracked vehicles, agricultral vehicles, tractors & plant, mowers, rollers etc also can't change Q plate registered vehicles

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/transferring-a-registration-number

So you can't put a personal reg number on your 1/2 track, CVRT, Sherman etc, or no hope of transfering your ideal reg. number off an old tractor!

Edited by Nick Johns