Mystery Object No.22

fv1609

Right then, the first photo shows a glimpse of the rear of a Humber, to be precise, FV1622 Truck, 1 ton, Missile test, 4x4, Humber, then under the tent I believe, is its companion trailer, ie. FV2308® Trailer, 1/2 ton, Functional Test Unit.

The truck had a HP air compressor and alternator driven from the PTO, this suppled power to the trailer, for its role in missile testing.

The photo with item marked "B" is I think, the rear doors to FV1621, Truck, 1 ton, Missile Supply, 4x4, Humber

Yes well done Richard I knew I could rely on you for a comprehensive response, absolutely correct. We could do with chaps like you in MI 10 attention to detail & all that sort of thing ;-)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clive,

I thought that I would let it spin out a bit before giving the correct answer :whistle:

Yes jolly decent of you Richard, I appreciate not spoiling the fun for everyone by not being too observant at the beginning. So are you going for Item "A" & the date & the Units that were responsible for Malkara or shall we see how the rest of the chaps do :whistle:

Richard

item "A" is the missile tray pulled out of the supply truck. Yes the most striking thing is the missile body itself. The upper (square in cross section) part is the centre body (for that is what the trailer tests) the light line is an aluminium ring that clamps the motor (round in cross section)

Unit was the Royal Armoured Corps, Parachute Sqn, Nope (cap badges are not RAC)

year, well another guess here 1965 Nope but close

Yes Cyclops Sqn 2RTR

Yes it had to be 1964, as it was in April 1964 that Cyclops moved into Kandahar. These men are clearly wearing RTR uniforms. On 1 Feb 1965 the core of Cyclops amalgamated with a core of SRS (which then 'disbanded') to form the Parachute Squadron RAC. Then it would have been maroon berets with RAC badges.

The idea of this was that it was no good having a very expensive missile system & all its backup enterage roaming around looking for targets of opportunity. An essential was armoured reconnaisance to identify & evaluate the need for a high tech destruction of a target. The new Squadron would perform both roles in an intergrated way.

This is what the men were looking at.

FV162206.jpg

The Humber is 18 BK 91 & I am pleased to say it is still around & owned by a friend who provided the photo below. What we are still looking for is the trailer. The story goes that they ended up at Jacksons & the equipment pulled out :cry: & the trailers just sold off.

18BK91-2.jpg

The other photos were kindly provided by members of the Para Sqn RAC OCA

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired