Backwards working fuel sender

lozzaboy

Just fitted a new sender unit in the FFR's passenger side fuel tank to replace what I thought was a dodgy unit as it read in reverse, eg empty when full and full when empty, but the new sender reads the same, but when I switch to the other tank it reads normal, any ideas anyone?

I've had the same effect by fitting a series 3 sender in a series 1 tank? Possibly wrong sender for year. Try extending the wires and swap them between your senders.If it's still reversed on the same tank it's the sender, if it's moved to the other tank it must be a wiring fault.

Jules

Yep easy way to check the gauges on a rover is easy as all you need to do is earth them i.e. the sender unit is a variable resister so when the tank is full it has less resistance. So if you connect the terminal that goes to the sender to earth the needle should go to full.

I cant see how it can go opposite unless the sender is somehow wired up in reverse ie becoming less resistant as it empties. Anyway if you check the gauge and it works, then you can fiddle with the sender.

Had a look through the ex military parts book I'v got for the part number mine should be (530008) checked out Craddocks, Blanchards and Dunfold on line last night, with only Dunsfold listing them but no price, so called them today and said about it being a 40 amp FFR/Toastie and knew what I had and said that should be the right sender for it so just got to wait for postie now :-)

I had fun with an odd reading gauge - but on mine it was for both tanks and turned out to be the actual gauge itself was stuffed. Turned the vehicle on and the gauge would drop - moving the sender to the full position made it try to drop even further still. Fitted a new one and all is well.

NOS fuel sender turned up today, fitted it and its still reading backwards :-( so made up some extended connections to test it with the other sender and with the switch set to the other tank and no matter what it seems that when ever it is set to draw fuel from the passenger tank it will read backwards, whilst it will read normal when set to draw from the drivers tank, is it the gauge or have I missed something along the way?

Cheers mate :-) still can't get my head round why one side works normal and the other side doesn't, so refitted the sender I fitted yesterday after bending it the other way around and put the NOS one to one side as a spare for the drivers side should it ever need it

Might be the contact switch on the change over tap - should be two of them Simple test is to disconnect the working one and connect the other tank to that - if it then works OK there is a problem with the contact switch.

Part number in the ISPL seems to be 12SA31893, Cat No. LV6MT4/5930-99-825-1031 (Section C, Page 91)