Shuttleworth Collection Military pageant 29/6/14 - Two BE2e's display debut

spanter

Hello as some of you may be aware the Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire is providing a temporary base for the two BE2e replicas destined for Stow Maries and on sunday they will hopefully make their display debut along with a pairing of the last two airworthy Gloster Gladiators and a 3 ship formation of Hawker bi-planes (Hind, Demon and Nimrod) Full display list and information here http://www.shuttleworth.org/tickets/event-details.asp?ID=261

Looking forward to seeing many people come to see this sight which hasn't been seen in the northern hemisphere for at least 85 years.

Steve

Glad to hear it, hopefully it'll be a good year for the ww1 displays and as a personal interest I prop swung the SE5a at the last show for the set piece of 4 original ww1 aircraft and 2 replicas. By the time the August ww1 show comes round we should have 8 airworthy ww1 aircraft and maybe some visitors as well as some interesting vehicles on show.

Steve

Well I made it.

Weather was interesting, sun wind rain no wind sun

And for those who did not here are 2 BE2es in the air, well worth seeing an excellent sedate display.

DSC01557.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

DSC01565.jpg

Light grey cloud is awful for getting photos right and I do not really like hours of photoshop.

But you can get some good shots when the clouds are darker

DSC01499.jpg

Even better when they are very dark and the sun tries to shine.

DSC01392.jpg

Other than the weather the day was a bit spoilt by the landing mishap with the Sopwith Triplane, but pilot was OK

DSC01466.jpg

DSC01474.jpg

Mike

The triplane was unfortunate but thankfully the pilot was fine just shaken, sadly the formations we were looking forward to didn't happen due to cross winds at Duxford, but we did get a visiting crossley tender and displayed it with one of the be2e plus I got to have a flight in one of the be2e after the show, great turnout from the public though, brilliant pictures by the way.

Steve

The triplane was unfortunate but thankfully the pilot was fine just shaken, sadly the formations we were looking forward to didn't happen due to cross winds at Duxford, but we did get a visiting crossley tender and displayed it with one of the be2e plus I got to have a flight in one of the be2e after the show, great turnout from the public though, brilliant pictures by the way.

Steve

I have to ask how did you manage a flight in a BE2e ?

You lucky chap, I would give a crisp £5 note to do that..........

I have to ask how did you manage a flight in a BE2e ?

You lucky chap, I would give a crisp £5 note to do that..........

I was very lucky to be asked as both aircraft were going up for a photo shoot and needed someone to fill the front cockpits, my brother went in the other aircraft, we are both volunteers at the collection and sometimes perks like these turn up but in 18 years of volunteering I think I've only been gifted flights like this on about 7 occasions. But I enjoy working there so it's worth it for me. They really are beautiful aircraft, very stable and lovely serenely floating around in sight of the cardington airship sheds at 1500 ft and lower was amazing. If we had been at 12,000ft and over enemy territory I think it would have been a different story. It was a very nice end to a long difficult day where I didn't really stop so I slept very well last night.