Registering a Iveco / Magirus 110-17AW

Please be gentle, Im shiny and new..

I have a 12 tonne Iveco 110-17AW courtesy of the German Army and I would like to register it here, is it as straightforward as;

Footman James for Insurance

Booking it in for its test at the DVSA/DVA/whichever letters we feel like this week

Taking German paperwork in sticky mitts along with insurance, MOT and shiny Class 1 licence to DVLA office (do they still exist?) and paying for a first registration fee, 6 months tax and walking away with a number plate?

Or has the world got more complicated?

Many thanks

Jez

Life has got more complicated. Somebody I'm sure will be along soon to explain the new process. The first important bit is that the local DVLA offices no longer exist. Everything has to now be done via Swansea.

Ed

Is the truck direct from German military never previously registered in Germany and if so you have the German military release papers giving year of manufacture etc?

It will at least need the tachgraph calibrating and certified before its test unless its got a current cert. and change the headlamps to LH dipping

Edited by Nick Johns

I trundled over and bought it from a company in Germany that sells ex-bunderwehr vehicles, so Ive got two registration documents (both in my name) showing the temporary German registration number to enable it to drive out of Germany, the both state the exact date of manufacture if thats of use?

Ive also got the last TUV and the original receipt showing tax was paid when I bought it so hopefully HMRC can go whistle :-)

Edited by dollythelw

I trundled over and bought it from a company in Germany that sells ex-bunderwehr vehicles, so Ive got two registration documents (both in my name) showing the temporary German registration number to enable it to drive out of Germany, the both state the exact date of manufacture if thats of use?

Ive also got the last TUV and the original receipt showing tax was paid when I bought it so hopefully HMRC can go whistle :-)

Its not HMRC you need to worry about, if the truck is not registered on the NOVA system DVLA will probably reject the application

Thanks Nick, it looks like Im to do a VAT NOVA 1 form, I'll get in touch with the helpline tomorrow and check through it all, other than that hiccup is it broadly the same process as it was ?

The NOVA is a must or you will not be able to start the registration process, I recently imported a Dodge WC 52 from Holland and I had to fill the NOVA form in within 14 days of the vehicle arriving in the UK. DVLA would not do anything without confirmation of this being done.

NOVA would appear to be the easiest of the problems to solve given the time Ive just spent on the phone, now I need to either do an IVA or convince Iveco to produce a type approval letter for a vehicle never sold in the UK, followed by filling out a VTG1 (first MOT form) and then an MOT

is it really that convoluted? :-(

NOVA would appear to be the easiest of the problems to solve given the time Ive just spent on the phone, now I need to either do an IVA or convince Iveco to produce a type approval letter for a vehicle never sold in the UK, followed by filling out a VTG1 (first MOT form) and then an MOT

is it really that convoluted? :-(

Could have bought an Iveco in UK registered and on road from David Crouch, may be worth a phone call to see if he would offer any help on how to register your truck

http://www.crouchmilitarysales.co.uk/listing/iveco-4x4/

Edited by Nick Johns

lots of kids mean I need the quad cab of the 110-17 as opposed to the Danish 168. the Danish fleet seem to be mostly the IVA exempt side of 25 years old - I'll give Crouch a call to check though. Iveco seem to be fairly keen to help at the mo so fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

If the fitment of a "type approved" rear under run protection system is a hoop anyone is being forced to jump through may I direct you to the exemptions glossary of the regulations; basically if your vehicle has all wheel drive or difflocks (or a combo of) you are driving an "off road vehicle" and exempt from fitting RURPS

Still engaged in a discussion with IVA technical as to if I need an IVA at all given the fact the vehicle "was designed for and used by the military services"

Lovely people in Germany in the armed services department are trying to find tech specs, next line of attack is the TUV and Federal motor transport agency/KHB..

:undecided: