Dodge Vacum windscreen wipers.

Tony B

There's only about five bits in that setup Tony?

line comes from manifold to screen via swivel joint, splitter to take tube to each motor

I was lucky enough to find NOS motors at Chris Muys in Belgium - they make a big difference though still not up to the sort of duty you would expect from a modern system. I think the most effective WW2 wipers were on the Weasel, but Weasel motors really to big to fit on a Dodge, open or closed cab.

.... and normally in the heavy rain too.

One worthwhile mod here is a fuel pump, with a vacuum pump on the top of it, plumbed to a small vacuum tank hidden under the cab, then to the existing wipers. The tank volume keeps the motors working flat out when you have your foot hard down - when normally that causes them to slow to a crawl.

I have seen this setup working and it worked really well, but no idea where to get the bits. I think the one I saw came off an old '40s bus, but no idea where you would find a bus driver to ask .....:-X

Gordon, the latest bus wipers are computer operated! ***ing usless but computer operated! They have at least uprated the wiper arms. The old ones were held together by pop rivets and had a habit of shearing and banging on the roof of the car in front. The idea of a vacum resovoir appeals, though possibly 6 volt electric would be the real answer. Trouble is everything else is dates to at least the 1952 rebuild, and it all works! Though I do know some sad souls who restore buses (!) so I'll ask them. Got to think ahead now the Grandaughter could be heading for D-Day 100!

Just keep an eye out for a small vacuum tank then Tony, the one I saw was only about a pint in volume but it appeared to work very well. It was hidden under the passengers side of the firewall and was just bolt on.

No idea if this would work just off manifold vacuum - you would certainly need a check / non-return valve between the manifold and the tank though.

Computers - hah