Mouldy sleeping bag

I have a 58 pattern long sleeping bag, that's been in the shed for a while, and got a bit mouldy. What is the best/easiest way to remove it?

Through the door? :-D

Seriously though a washing machine. My wife persuaded me we needed one large enough to wash horse rugs, so it will take a sleeping bag. But I think dry cleaning is a no-no because the residual vapours that could get trapped unless it had a very effective airing.

Get a very long boathook and pop a respirator on. Reach carefully into the shed and slowly hook the maggot by the carrying handle and drag it gently out keeping upwind by a decent distance.

Ahhh you mean how do you get the mouldy mustiness out??

Check the maggot does not have 768 BROOK on it in black marker pen. If it does, take no further action but dispose of it through emergency hazardous waste channels.

If it doesn't then you stand a chance of reviving it. Get it in a bag and take it down to the laundrette and bung it in the duvet washing machine.

It probably says something really helpful on the label like "Dry clean only. Do not iron" but I regularly did mine when I was serving in a normal washing machine in extremis - just remember to try and shake it all out as much as possible as soon as possible and keep doing so as it dries out.

My recollection is that they dry quite quickly - about 3 months should do it.

Which is why they get musty in the first place - always best to store them unwrapped.

Bleach will get rid of mould but it may also get rid of dye. I would soak it in a moderate bleach solution for a while (10% or so for an hour or two) and then throw it in the washing machine on a normal cycle.

Cheers,

Terry

• 2 months later...