• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spare bolts.

Main

Posted by min200 Thu, November 20, 2014 16:52:04

I met up with the folk from the Nottingham Land Rover Club last night at the pub and as always it was a pleasant evening with lots of tall tales and laughter. My engine does run but is desperate for a service and a bit of a tune up. Now give me a mini and I will do it blind folded and I am sure tuning the engine and Carb is about the same on the Landy but for the first go I really wanted someone looking over my shoulder telling me I am doing it right or wrong whatever the case may be. I found/bullied a volunteer to come along with the bribe of cakes and chocolate so as soon as I am paid next week I shall get the bits in and then we will be very nearly ready for the MOT. Now I find myself wondering if I have done everything right! I know there will be a few tweaks and the place I am taking ot too will help me with those final tweaks before we put it in so that's good. Dont want to fail on the brakes needing adjusting up a bit more or the headlights pointing the wrong way!

The problem with the Landy sitting on the drive is the temptation. Whatever window I pass it seems to sit there beckoning at me and now the finish line is in sight I really do want to cross it as quickly as possible! Obviously I am putting the brakes because a) Clumsy fat sore fingers. b) I don't want to rush the last bit and spoil it by missing something simple or breaking something big.

Little bits then. I am running out of those this week those little things you can do with one hand. But I did remember that one of my wheels was leaking air so I rolled it out of the greenhouse and down to Wifeys car. Here I had to be careful because even though the inside of her car resembles a skip in the footwells most of the time (Im pretty sure most women are like this with cars...dirty buggers) she would be most unimpressed if she knew I was throwing a big land rover wheel in the back of it!

Cant see what the problem is myself...

20141120_110311_zpsce552cbf.jpg

The tyre was leaking air from the rim so the nice chap at the local garage unburdened me of the contents of my wallet to take the tyre off and give it a good clean up reseal and balance. That sorted and back I wondered what to do now and came up with the idea of loosening up the nuts on the drivers side window top ready for replacing with the better one in storage. I didnt know the strength of my left hand as I snapped the first one off but managed to a bit more gently persuade the second loose in one piece.

There are two things that for me are must haves in a rebuild. The first is a box of nuts and bolts that you have collected over time and thrown bits in "just in case"

20141120_122528_zpsf4469113.jpg

And a mixed box of washers as well...

20141120_122712_zps5582b3ff.jpg

Amongst these I found the two washers and bolts I will need to fit the new door top on saving myself a few pennies and a trip to the local ironmongers.

20141120_123942_zps604992bc.jpg

I then really wanted to change the tops over but my hand is healing nicely I have to go back to work next week if I want to eat and my fingers were warning me I had pushed far enough so I put the kettle on instead.

I did try to start my bike but it seems the battery has lost the will to live so that's a job for tomorrow. Autumn mornings are one of my favourites and with scenes like the last picture I took whilst walking the dog you must be able to see why!

20141120_100446_zps7157a869.jpg

http://www.nickysmith.me

New Shoes!

Main

Posted by min200 Fri, November 21, 2014 13:23:09

Had to go and collect a new battery for my bike first thing this morning as the old one has declared itself dead. So at the counter in the shop I tell the sales chap what battery I need and off he toddles and comes back with it asking "You do have a battery charger don't you?" Well why would I? so my answer is no. He then informs me it needs to be charged as they store them dry until they are sold when the acid is added. Is it just me or is this a bit odd? When you buy a car battery its charged and ready to roll so why wouldn't a bike one be the same?

I then asked him "Do you have a battery charger?" to which he replies with a grin "Yes yes we do" "good" I reply "Stick that battery on it and I will be back to collect it in the morning" The sales girl next to him burst into laughter and he toddled of back out to the rear of the store muttering "ok then see you in the morning"

Back on the driveway in no time as the shop is just around the corner I know I am going to potter a bit. I have cleaned out and dressed my gammy finger this morning so I know I cant do too much but I figure I can manage to fit the new front wheels. I set up with the jack and wheel brace and my mobile rings with my middle daughter calling me from her trip into London this morning to a University interview. No let me point that out again...she is in London. We go through the normal "Hellos" along with me saying "Everything ok down there are you all right?" to which she replies

"Yea all good here....you are working on the Land Rover aren't you! You are not supposed to be doing that!" How the hell do they know? I hadn't even started just set up?? I have to admit I looked around to see if they have set up a couple of cameras but cannot see any if they have.

I told her I was "just looking at it" and promptly got to "looking" at the old wheels being changed for the new again. There's nothing really wrong with the old Series wheel rims that were on it but I fancied a set of the early Discovery steel wheels with chunkier tyres on.

20141121_100334_zpsc8682634.jpg

20141121_101135_zpsa6266903.jpg

With the front end still on axle stands the series wheels just fell off so no hassle there but I had donned my babygrow so I could use my legs to help manhandle the new wheels on.

20141121_102604_zps49b148a8.jpg

20141121_102617_zps8c9fe86c.jpg

Doesn't it look smart with its new shoes on!! I love it nice and chunky tyres and the matching Nato green looks a lot better on them than I thought it would. You could be forgiven if you are thinking I had forgotten to take out the axle stands from under the front but no they are gone!! It really sits that high up! I am loving the look of it even if I do say so myself!

I am happy to say the hand/axle/transmission brake works just fine the bricks are under the rear wheels as a "just in case" measure on my downhill driveway that leads directly onto the main city ring road.

The last job of the day was to change over the rear number plate light. Yes I have done this once but since then I have managed to pick up a Land Rover one which looks a lot better than the truck one I had stuck on before...I had a word with myself about being too much of a tight arse at times.

20141121_105433_zpsb58a3e05.jpg

I need to update the project costings again but that can be done over the weekend.

Spending

Main

Posted by min200 Sun, November 23, 2014 08:45:57

Talk about feeling sick. I had the shakes cold sweats and was distinctly light headed...I had to spend quite a large chunk of cash again.

You know the Landy is crawling closer to its first MOT and I am feeling a bit nervous about it if I am honest. The initial build is nearly done and it seems it will only be a few weeks before I get the insurance MOT and then send off for the age related number plates providing I have done my job right. Does anyone else worry that they have missed something? I am glad another landy nut is coming over to give it the once over before I book it in and he will definitely call me a tool and point out any shortcomings if I have made them. But this is not what has me feeling as bad as I do.

I have ordered all of the service bits which on a standard Land Rover is not too bad but for a 24v FFR the parts are a bit pricey to say the least. But it had to be done so the money is spent and all is ordered but the oil which I will go and collect myself from a little place down the road which is the rare oasis that is a reasonably priced car parts shop.

My other large outlay was a brand new fuel tank. As I have written before the second hand unit I fitted is leaking and in all fairness the chap I bought it off of has dropped around another second hand one but I feel that seeing as I have spent this much so far on the project I may as well put my hand in my pocket one more time for the new fuel tank. Seems a bit excessive? With this large buy it now means I have replaced the fuel system up to the Carb completely so it shouldn't give me any more problems for some time to come.

Time for a bit of an add up on costs and they are crawling up considering I originally wanted to do this rebuild on a tight budget but as it was pointed out to me the other day how many other Land Rovers could you buy for that price with the new parts fitted and a rebuild being done to that extent? I also have the knowledge that it's all been done right (I hope!). When you look at it that way they are good points.

So with sweaty hands and a sick feeling in my stomach I have updated the costings...

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

2x Batteries and rear 1/4 light £35

Pair Battery Terminal Clamps £3.99

Floor pan nuts & bolts £6.50

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

Complete set of lights £85

5 Litres Primer £24.99

4 Discovery Wheels £10.20

Rear Door £21.00

Front Door £20.00

Handbrake spring £1.50

2 Discovery wheels

Two seatbelts

Wing Mirror

2 Headlight surrounds

2 headlight frames £60

2 Front Doors £60

Nato Green Paint £36

Rear Window Seal and insert £9.99

Wiring connectors £3.00

2 tins of silver metal paint £7.00

Fuses & Sandpaper £4.50

5x tins black spray £5.00

5x more tins black spray £5.00

Clutch fluid

Exhaust putty

WD40 £8.49

Car Boot Bits £13

Front & rear shocks £59.45

Front & rear brake rebuild kits £81.62

Fuel tank & filler £40

Wheels complete with tyres £250

Fuel pump

Fuel hose

Indicator stalk

Bonnet strap

Brake switch

Fuel pump gasket

Fuel line clips £67.74

24v Wiper motor

24v flasher relay

24v heater

24v front loom

oil cooler

Door tops x2

Rear bench seat £67.50

Roof rack £100

Wheel nuts £8

Brake pipe kit £39

Wheels & Tyres £250

Exhaust System & Flexi hose pipes £66

Number plate light £5

Seat set £90

Fuel tank and service parts £136

CREDIT FOR BITS SOLD OFF OF PROJECT £446

TOTAL £1616.16

That's a bit freaky..... £1616.16. Once the oil has been costed in and the price of an MOT we should be in the ball park of £1700 out of my own pocket and around £2200 all in with the bits taken off of the Landy and sold chipping in a good chunk of change.

For that sort of money and to me this is a lot of money I will have a cracking Land Rover that should last me a good few years before it wants a full rebuild again and that is not too shabby at all.

Midweek Blues

Main

Posted by min200 Wed, November 26, 2014 07:44:14

Work really gets in the way of the fun things in life doesn't it. I came home last night to find a nice bog brown box waiting for me...

20141126_072113_zps36af67c5.jpg

It contained the majority of my service bits for the landy as well as the nice shiny new fuel tank.

20141126_072139_zps3c90af6b.jpg

Its now Wednesday morning and as I sit here I realise that I have forgotten to order the oils...bugger. Well I guess I wont be doing that online now so I will have to run down to the cheap car parts store down the road as I first planned but I would have saved a few quid online...hey ho nothing I can do about that now apart from push back the service and set up but that is definitely happening on Saturday!

So I shall have to hide away my frustration at the lack of progress this week and make sure I get as much done as I can on Saturday.

Something just collapsed!!!

Main

Posted by min200 Fri, November 28, 2014 21:27:24

So I was eagerly heading home around the Nottingham ring road banking left around a bend through some traffic lights and over some cross roads when the front end of the bike just kinda gives out...thankfully I was not travelling very fast but I took up both lanes to recover it from going shiny side down and my first thought was "front tyre blew out"

Nope the tyre is fine. I limped the poor old bugger home and the bike too! The front end wobbling all over the shop but I was only a mile away so a slow crawl at about 5mph saw me back soon enough and safely to boot.

I grabbed a torch had a quick look and it would appear the frame at the front is giving up the will to live. This is all in the dark so a closer inspection in the morning will show to what extent it has gone BUT I am sitting here at home with the Mrs having a beer and listening to some tunes so life is still good. Wifey doesn't know why I am smiling and being happy to still be in one piece she thinks the bike issue wasn't such a big deal! Hey I don't care because I kept the bike rubber side down...somehow

Smug bugger.

Main

Posted by min200 Sat, November 29, 2014 17:43:24

Oh I am feeling like a proper smug bugger today. I had a friend call around who is a Land Rover nut and a good mechanic to boot. It was his first meeting with the old project and he was a mine of information. It turns out the Landy has had a recon engine installed because its a nice green colour and considering its only showing 24,000 on the clock anyway I wonder if they were changed at the same time or not? The timing and ignition are spot on so no worries there which has saved some buggering about. The words he seemed to use a lot this morning relating to me and the Landy were "bugger" as well as "Jammy". You see he really was impressed with the overall condition of just about everything so fingers crossed for the dreaded MOT.

After he left I still had an hour to kill before Wifey came home so we could go motorbike shopping and with the last electrical jobs niggling me I decided to have a stab at them again. Now before I get into this I would like to take the time out to show you the first picture of the day....

mine_2024V_20circuitNewAFFRwiringdiagramme_zps7706e915.jpg

Now I am clueless when it comes to electrics but with this diagram of a 24v FFR wiring system in colour along with a multimeter set to the correct voltage even I was able to track back the wiring issues.

It is daunting though when you open up the centre consul and find this lot looking at you.

20141129_121656_zps38395054.jpg

I started to panic when I was finding wires like this lot and wondering !Are these supposed to be connected somewhere???"

20141129_121716_zps35fd73d0.jpg

But I took faith in the diagram and started to follow it back to get the horn working. I traced back from the relay to the change in wire colour testing for power at connections until I found out where the horn actually lived which is behind the grill on the nearside...

20141129_123217_zps52a7b1c0.jpg

There was no power at the horn itself but there was at the connector on the offside by the headlight so through my cunning powers of deduction I realised the problem was between the two and quite obvious once I saw it...

20141129_123223_zpsf6fca1f6.jpg

"No way" I thought to myself "It cannot be that easy" after all we are talking Land Rover electrics here and they are a bain of every owners lives. I cleaned and connected the wires back up then turned on the ignition and pressed the horn....a dolcit grumpy sounding tone emitted loudly from the front end of the motor and the grin that spread across my face made my cheeks ache. Another electrical job down.

Could I beat that today? Could I get the rear fog lights to work or would I be removing them as they were not a legal requirement in 1983?

I grabbed my multimeter and diagram then attacked the wiring with gusto tracking the right colour through relays getting power all the way to the switch. Im getting into this electrical lark now you know. The power died there so having seen the prices of a replacement 24v fog light switch I took to cleaning and WD40'ing (new word you know) it up then the moment had arrived to see if it had made any difference and whether I could crown myself the king of Land Rover electrics!!!!!!!!

Nothing.

I rechecked my work and pushed the spade connector into place properly and with the sounds of heavenly angels playing me soft music the most wonderful light came to life on the dashboard!

20141129_125224_zpsc7ed7252.jpg

That little yellow light on the top right held promise that the rear fog lights should be working and low and behold there was light!!

I felt epic! The lighting system now works across the board on the old girl and the only electrical component to refit now will be the washer pump when I get a chance. Isn't it amazing how good you can feel when something new that you have learnt actually works out as it should. The way this is going I really may have this old mouldy Land Rover back on the road by the new year.

www.justturned40.co.uk

How much can you cram into a day?

Main

Posted by min200 Sun, November 30, 2014 19:58:53

I was up early. I just cant seem to have a lie in like other folk after 6 hours of snoring I wake up wide eyed and ready to start the day whether I want to or not. After staring at the ceiling in the dark I lay there determined not to get out of my pit until 7am. At 7am I was just finishing my first cup of tea waiting for the light to come in enough so I could potter outside on the Landy.

A bowl of cornflakes later and a play online the light was good enough for the chickens to want to come out so it was good enough for me to get myself into my baby grow and get stuck back into the electrics. The washer bottle and pump were the last of my wiring issues so I bolted them back into place, wired the washer pump up filled the bottle full of washer fluid and wondered if my luck could hold out for it to work.

20141130_085539_zpsb0938a25.jpg

20141130_085545_zpsc21e6a86.jpg

It bloody worked!! I pushed the button the pump whirred into life and the fluid worked its way through the pipework and squirted onto the screen! Um that's all the electrics working then...I mean all of them the lot everything electrical on a Land Rover is operational. This must be a first on the planet and must be worthy of a prize of some sort!

That done its about 8am and the family are enjoying a lazy lie in and snoring away so I decided I would get the old leaky tank out and the new shiny one in place.

First I had to start taking the bits out of the tank.

20141130_093416_zpscf2fa03d.jpg

The feeder pipe had to be swapped over as well as the fuel sender.

20141130_094326_zpsbef919f6.jpg

I then undid the four bolts that hold the tank in and that dropped out soon enough.

20141130_100145_zps1d3e7e8d.jpg

The new tank went in easy enough with the use of my jack to help balance it in place whilst I added the bolts to hold it in place. Soon enough it was done plumbed in and wired up. Being a tight git I drained the fuel out of the old tank checking it was clean and added back into the new tank. I should say here when I removed the fuel line from the old tank I folded it over itself and used a cable tie to stop any fuel leaking out.

20141130_100138_zps68296310.jpg

20141130_103111_zpsfd57f16c.jpg

Im glad I splashed out for a new tank because it should give me many years of service and that is the whole of the fuel system now replaced.

I fired it up and all is well in fact I love being able to turn the key when ever I want to and hear it running it never fails to bring a smile to my face!

By now the tribe were up and around and we had to head down south to look at a replacement bike. Don't you hate it when folk lie to you about the condition of a motor. This was supposedly on mint condition but after arriving it was scraped and scratched and dont get me started on the state of the nearly rusted through exhaust!

So a wasted trip of a 130 miles but we did call in on family and it was very good to see my baby sister and her fiancée back from Australia then we got fed a big fat roast to boot!

Now home and relaxing for a couple of hours wondering how the weekend flew by so quickly and still looking for a bike.

www.justturned40.co.uk

Don't you hate it when folk lie to you about the condition of a motor. This was supposedly on mint condition but after arriving it was scraped and scratched and dont get me started on the state of the nearly rusted through exhaust!

You mean they had sucked the mint and replaced it in the packet... ;)

trevor

If that how he's looked after the outside, wonder what the rest if the bike is like.

still if it's a bandit they're fairly indestructible.

The mechanics were sound the bike is just a bit tatty looking...seen worse! Still we will see what else is around as well ;)

Murky Mornings.

Main

Posted by min200 Wed, December 03, 2014 22:03:32

I am impatient to get this project done and I really don't want it to finish. You must have been there yourselves with something you have done at some point, you put in hours upon hours of effort relishing the challenge and hating the project at times. You sacrifice your pocket money the time you should have spent with the kids and offer up the odd limb or two in order to christen it with blood the Landy gods require if you want it to ever fire up into life again.

With December now upon us I have had a look at the calender for the month and to say the schedule is hectic would be a mild understatement. If I want to get any sort of time on the project it is in a small hour long window sometime from waking up to leaving for work. No really I am being serious! If I want any time to myself to do as I please I have that one option for most of the rest of the month....having a family seemed like such a good idea at the time!

Its amazing what you can do in a couple of hour long stints though. First I set to getting the old drivers side seat out. This is straight forward enough by simply lifting the base out and then folding the back of the seat forward. You will probably find that it doesn't want to go past the steering wheel of course but I found that just by moving the steering wheel from side to side a couple of times helped my "persuade" the seat back down. The single bolt removed from each side saw the back out pretty easily and quickly too.

20141201_082351_zps3e13c25c.jpg

That seat was pretty tatty and probably wont be any good for anyone but that wont stop me throwing it up onto fleabay on a free listing for 99p though! Hey any money back is a bonus and yes I am that much of a tight git...at times.

The seat frame was looking a bit rough...

20141201_082348_zps18890b95.jpg

and I still had some green left so that got liberally splashed around the frame and rear bulkhead...

20141201_083921_zps85d39051.jpg

Onto the passenger side and that too was past its best so I got to splash it about a bit more...

20141201_084727_zps6e66f385.jpg

It does make a hell of a difference a quick coat of paint even though I know these parts wont really been seen that often its nice to just "know" I have done it right.

I have bought off of the tinterweb a passenger side door top it as brand new unused and seeing as I had to fit a new window kit to that side anyway I decided for the price of £15 I may as well "know" both of the door tops are new and that the glass wont be dropping out every tome I close the door like it does at the moment. The current passenger side door top is pretty rusty and will need a bit more exploration when its taken off to see if it would be worth keeping as a spare.

20141202_083355_zps5ac5ba5b.jpg

The new one was the wrong colour so while I had the paint out...

20141202_083026_zps9d47039b.jpg

Once the kit arrives I will get the glass in and tops changed over.

Next it was time to fit the windscreen wipers and I could not find them for love nor money. So after scratching my head and looking in many boxes along with all of my "safe" places I gave up and ordered a new pair convinced I had thrown them away by accident along with a load of rubbish out of the back of the Landy. The next morning I found them of course in plain sight on top of a toolbox. In my defence it wasn't a safe place toolbox and the mornings are very dull along with the wipers being very small and black.

Anyway it turns out I have two different types of wiper arms fitted to the Land Rover one being a series one and one slightly thicker one. A drill bit and some persuasion soon had both of the wipers fitted.

20141202_083347_zps2a56a498.jpg

I think I will replace the arms at some point but I will get the MOT done first.

http://www.justturned40.co.uk

Smug bugger.

Main

Posted by min200 Sat, November 29, 2014 17:43:24

Oh I am feeling like a proper smug bugger today. I had a friend call around who is a Land Rover nut and a good mechanic to boot. It was his first meeting with the old project and he was a mine of information. It turns out the Landy has had a recon engine installed because its a nice green colour and considering its only showing 24,000 on the clock anyway I wonder if they were changed at the same time or not? The timing and ignition are spot on so no worries there which has saved some buggering about. The words he seemed to use a lot this morning relating to me and the Landy were "bugger" as well as "Jammy". You see he really was impressed with the overall condition of just about everything so fingers crossed for the dreaded MOT.

After he left I still had an hour to kill before Wifey came home so we could go motorbike shopping and with the last electrical jobs niggling me I decided to have a stab at them again. Now before I get into this I would like to take the time out to show you the first picture of the day....

mine_2024V_20circuitNewAFFRwiringdiagramme_zps7706e915.jpg

Now I am clueless when it comes to electrics but with this diagram of a 24v FFR wiring system in colour along with a multimeter set to the correct voltage even I was able to track back the wiring issues.

It is daunting though when you open up the centre consul and find this lot looking at you.

20141129_121656_zps38395054.jpg

I started to panic when I was finding wires like this lot and wondering !Are these supposed to be connected somewhere???"

20141129_121716_zps35fd73d0.jpg

But I took faith in the diagram and started to follow it back to get the horn working. I traced back from the relay to the change in wire colour testing for power at connections until I found out where the horn actually lived which is behind the grill on the nearside...

20141129_123217_zps52a7b1c0.jpg

There was no power at the horn itself but there was at the connector on the offside by the headlight so through my cunning powers of deduction I realised the problem was between the two and quite obvious once I saw it...

20141129_123223_zpsf6fca1f6.jpg

"No way" I thought to myself "It cannot be that easy" after all we are talking Land Rover electrics here and they are a bain of every owners lives. I cleaned and connected the wires back up then turned on the ignition and pressed the horn....a dolcit grumpy sounding tone emitted loudly from the front end of the motor and the grin that spread across my face made my cheeks ache. Another electrical job down.

Could I beat that today? Could I get the rear fog lights to work or would I be removing them as they were not a legal requirement in 1983?

I grabbed my multimeter and diagram then attacked the wiring with gusto tracking the right colour through relays getting power all the way to the switch. Im getting into this electrical lark now you know. The power died there so having seen the prices of a replacement 24v fog light switch I took to cleaning and WD40'ing (new word you know) it up then the moment had arrived to see if it had made any difference and whether I could crown myself the king of Land Rover electrics!!!!!!!!

Nothing.

I rechecked my work and pushed the spade connector into place properly and with the sounds of heavenly angels playing me soft music the most wonderful light came to life on the dashboard!

20141129_125224_zpsc7ed7252.jpg

That little yellow light on the top right held promise that the rear fog lights should be working and low and behold there was light!!

I felt epic! The lighting system now works across the board on the old girl and the only electrical component to refit now will be the washer pump when I get a chance. Isn't it amazing how good you can feel when something new that you have learnt actually works out as it should. The way this is going I really may have this old mouldy Land Rover back on the road by the new year.

www.justturned40.co.uk

=========================

Be aware that the Electrical Diagram you have been working too is not EXACTLY correct for a FFR as new as yours , your electricals are only correct when you see the word BRAKE illuminated on the nearside display that is opposite your "Fog Guard" that is showing as illuminated.

You should see the word BRAKE display at Ignition start for a few seconds..

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Cheers chap I shall have a look to see if it does that or not. Im not going to be putting any radio kit back into it so it was used as a guide and it worked out well indeed :)

Now I want to go outside in the dark to see if the "brake" light comes on or not.

The diagram is quite late because it has Fog guard BUT it is still with the earlier manual TEST button for brake vacuum warning loss bulb. Unfortunately as soon as these colour trace diagrams are placed on the internet , some get ripped-off source with colourist & technical support removed. Then you even get the Mercans wanting to charge $$ ££ for them as Buy online , cheek..

Well you all understand these diagrams a damned site more than me! I struggled to figure out what wire was for what :-D:-D This diagram was emailed to me to help out which it did BUT does anyone have the correct one for my 1983 FFR please and I will post that up onto the blog :)