Land Rover Series 3 Restoration

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://Www.warandpeacerevival.co.uk

it is in july, we camp for a week and fly our flags.

if you see a falklands flag flying, you are at the right place.

Some land rover parts can be found at dunsfold that have a stall,

i got somewhere else a fire extinguisher and a old grease gun for a pound each.

plenty of guns, if you break down, get stuck there is help.

My toolkit has spare leads, plugs, timing light etc.

i had to fabricate a exhaust bracket, i surpriced my fellow campers by fixing it, and fixing the smoke coming from behind the dashboard. It was a trailer socket cable melted on the end can.

Birthday Bonus

Main

Posted by min200 Sat, October 04, 2014 17:44:00

Well today is my birthday and its the big 4-1, perhaps I should now rename the blog just turned 41 but it really doesn't have the same ring to it.

Anyway I can hand on heart say it has, so far, been the best birthday I have had in years! A new laptop (how very extravagant!) proper ales in bottles, slippers and chocolate to put Thonton's to shame BUT there was on extra bonus that I had to pay for myself but it was worth it!

The last but best present was a full length roof rack with ladder for the Landy at a cost of £100 delivered!

The chaps who dropped it off helped me pop it onto the project as well which saved me some stress of trying to put it on myself and the results are pretty good as well!

20141004_170418_zps3560bfb9.jpg

20141004_170503_zps3477af77.jpg

That's all I can get in today as I need to get ready to be dragged out to a restaurant for a slap up meaty mal and a few real ales to boot. It's a dirty job but I will try to persevere!

[h=2]Getting ready.[/h]MainPosted by min200 Sat, October 11, 2014 12:58:42

They say time flies and it really does in what seems like a blink of the eye I have arrived upon the eve of going away to The Outward Bound Trust in wales that I was raising money for a while back.

When they asked for volunteers it was on a nice spring day with the promise of a superb summer to follow so I said yes but has anyone else noticed it turned a bit bloody chilly this week and I will be spending most of next week either on a Welsh mountainside or in some sort of river bay or pond...

So this morning was spent buying the local Yeomans out of thermal under wear and woolly socks! Im looking forward to helping these kids out but im buggered if I will spend any more time than needs be being freezing cold and wet! Bought a few extra bits as well just in case the kids coming don't have the luxury of such things.

SO with this and the daft 12 hour days if the past few weeks the Landy has been a bit neglected with a pile of parts in the shed waiting to go on and a job left half finished but after next week I will have the time to dive back in and get a load more work done to it.

Give me a week and I will be boring the pants off of you all again after I have come home and defrosted first.

Interesting to see what you've achieved and how the Landy is coming back to life. I finally gave up chasing rust along the chassis on my series 3 and sold it on to someone more enthusiatic .... but it was a great work horse while I had it.

Good luck with yours ... Jeff

Thanks Jeff I shall just keep plodding with it!

The Outward Bound Trust

Main

Posted by min200 Sun, October 19, 2014 14:14:21

Well I am back from my week away with the kids at The Outward Bound Trust and what a hell of a week it was!

To start it is a good four hour run blasting through some of the best roads North Wales could throw up and offer so I arrived with a grin on my face. That was soon wiped off when along with the other mentors we were taken around and asked to take part in a couple of the activities the kids would be aske to do during the week. No problem eh I am a grown man so what could they ask me to do that would be scary if they expected teenagers to so it.

They threw up a 30 foot high telegraph pole that you were to climb then stand on top of. Not too bad you are thinking right? Wrong. A 30 foot telegraph pole sways and wobbles when you are stood on top of it shaking so badly you look like you are dancing to techno music. Still once there the worse thing to do would be to come back down...the only way you are going to be doing that is by jumping from your perch to grab onto the trapeze swing dangling a few feet away at the same height as you.

20141012_163645_zpsbdf040fe.jpg

That was my first change of pants.

All you had to do then while dangling on your swing was to trust your new found friends had tied the rope knots right and let go of the only thing you had hold off with a grip like death itself. Once swinging I have to say the view was pretty impressive though because until that point you had seen nothing but the red of terror in your eyes!

The kids had to do this...and they did it better than me!

160 teenagers turned up in a manic 20 minute window who were then told to get changed and do a "jog & Dip". Whenever I say "the kids" this ALWAYS includes me...I had to do everything they did. Well I didn't "have to" but it was expected and there was no way I was letting a bunch of hormone addled spotty kids think I was scared....I was crapping myself at times.

Anyway the jog & dip was a short half mile run, the last time I ran anywhere was with a large Doberman hard at my heels, to the sea where we promptly stood in a circle with our group of ten and dipped ourselves under the sea...cold does not even begin to express what the temperature was like! Sill the half mile jog back soon warmed us through along with more changing of pants.

Im not going to go into a detailed diary of the rest of the week because it would be a bit of a slog and I don't know if anyone else would be that interested but I will say the two day 11 mile hike up some of the biggest wind blown mountains North Wales had to offer along with wild camping saw the start of an incredible change in these teenagers. They started out as 10 awkward kids who didn't want to look at each other let alone talk to someone they didn't know god forbid that would happen but the hardships of hiking across difficult terrain, making camps as well as completing tasks as a team like when e dropped them onto a secluded beach with only the materials to make a raft so they could get back made a change in each and everyone of them that I would not have thought possible at the start of the week.

The kids grew up stopped thinking selfishly and considered their teammates. They supported, laughed and considered others but themselves. They pushed past mental limits protected and cared.

They left at the end of the week different people with hope and determination that would put most adults to shame.

I was privileged to witness this. It was an incredible journey to be a part of and humbling to see.

Thanks to each and every one of you who donated toward this the charity know what they are doing this was not a holiday for these kids much to some surprise on their part but a life changing experience ad any advantage that can be given to those that need it is a good thing.

20141014_172310_zpsc4f851b5.jpg

Land rover project updates will be back from tomorrow.

Filling up.

Main

Posted by min200 Mon, October 20, 2014 16:45:58

Wifey at work the kids at school and yet another cheeky day off at home for me so after the chaos of the past few weeks I actually got to don my babygrow and get near the landy.

My aim for the day was to get the fuel filler cap installed in place so I can actually put petrol in from the outside of the motor! I have been pestering folk for measurements of where their filler cap holes were (I originally typed "where their holes are" but after reading it back thought best to change it to spare myself some ridicule!) so when I chopped into the side of my landy the filler cap would be in the right place without a massive hole poking out from the edges... lets face it a big hole can spoil anyone's day.

The tape measure went out and in up and down until I was satisfied I had got it in the right place then came out the drill.

20141020_100636_zps89641246.jpg

I thought it was best to start out with a small hole and work my way up from there until I got the dimensions just tight...I mean right!

The first hole was a bit tight...

20141020_104328_zps757904ce.jpg

But I managed to stretch it out so I could get the sides of the framework in.

20141020_104723_zps1baf0581.jpg

Once a snug fit was achieved I riveted it into place and fitted the main and overspill pipework in place. A quick couple of coats of paintwork later I managed to get the cap in and I have to say the results are quite impressive!

20141020_114630_zpsa4e816fe.jpg

The only extra thing I had to get was an extra jubilee clip to keep the pipework in place next to the tank.

It looks like it was supposed to be in there all along now.

20141020_114643_zpsd250a19f.jpg

Another job ticked off of the list along with a bit of a wink toward this old motors heritage applied in the form of the old tyre pressure psi painted back above the wheels on the arches.

The next job will be the brake system as the parts are sitting wanting in the shed to be fitted. The plan was to do some more in the morning before work but if the weather folk are to be believed I don't think sitting outside on the driveway playing with brakes would be a good idea!

Why not? (I got no tv or radio) if weather is poor just get used to it.

a week ago i spend from 6PM till 1AM robbing a head from my 88 to get put on the wifes 109,

dodging rain and calling it quits after the head was torqued up and valve rockers adjusted so the cover gasket could set.

at 8AM till 12pm till it was sorted and ready to drive to fetch a friend. The auto clutch failed and i ended up driving it :(

Glad to see you made it back ok... Tomorrow is my day of leccy as rear lights don't work on brakes and regular rear lights on both sides, and i need to get my lathe in the shed!

Neat job on the filler cap - but I have to ask why?? The underseat fillers are quite effective at stopping fuel thieves......

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I will be changing the seats to something a bit more comfy. That and I really didn't want to be taking seats out everytime I want to fuel up so a single tank is less hassle....simples.

One down three to go.

Main

Posted by min200 Wed, October 22, 2014 13:50:38

Time to make a start on the brakes I just couldn't put it off any longer.

Brakes are not my favourite job on any project because its the one thing that always seems to throw up more issues and problems than I want or expect.

So I dug out the drum rebuild kits and decided on the off side rear drum would be my first victim. No reason why just looked like a good place start.

Wheel off drum off ok and the old rusty brake inners came into the light to say hello.

20141022_111311_zpscc148dc7.jpg

The rusty springs and old pads didn't take much getting off.

20141022_111323_zps52e5d944.jpg

Now the brake pipes were another matter! You know I said something ALWAYS goes wrong well the pipe nut on the back of the cylinder rounded off on the first turn.

20141022_114723_zps4991ef9a.jpg

The metal had gone soft which is a shame because I thought the pipes would be ok and not need replacing but after a good luck and scrape it turns out about half of them are past their best. Hey ho I have learnt not to panic over such things and just get on with sorting them now but I will replace all of the pipework from front to back.

I had to undo the brake pipe at the union on the axle taking off the extra fittings to slide out the cylinder.

20141022_114718_zps1ccf724a.jpg

The new brake pads and cylinder were duly dropped in. Sounds easy eh? was it buggery! The hooks on the springs were too long but a quick grind got them o the right length and made fitting them a bit easier. I fitted the base spring first because well they are awkward fitting from behind the pads when they are on the drums.

20141022_121756_zps73a25cf4.jpg

One corner done and only three more to go. I bloody hate brakes.

wait till the air needs to be bled out.

a tip, remanufacture longer copper pipes so the air nipple of the two front cylinders sits at the top.

i have been in land rovers for 15 years and i still hate bleeding brakes.

My help last sunday was a blind woman, i teach her mechanics and she is eager to learn.

The seats in mine are bare steel back plate and half ripped base... Dogs climbed in the front :)

Pounds & Pennies

MainPosted by min200 Thu, October 23, 2014 08:35:49

Does anyone else get messed around at work? I seem to have a face that attracts it, maybe because I am an easy going guy but maybe they just like to take the piss and are waiting to see how long it will be before I loose the plot and start killing folks there who knows.

I have gone from a start time in the afternoon to a morning start time again after being informed "due to a reshuffle your start time doesn't exist anymore" I mean don't they realise what this means? I will have to come home in the early evening just like a normal person and see the Wife and kids SEVEN DAYS A WEEK!!! My god the secret to a happy marriage has been only saving that horror for the weekends before so now I will have to listen to the drivel that teenage girls and wives spout on a daily basis! Still could be worse I suppose...I don't know how yet but I will find something to take solace in as the day goes by.

Time to update the Landy Project costs as its been a while. All receipts were put in a pile so I wouldn't lose track and I finally got around to totting up what I had sold off of the project and for how much.

I want the costing list to be a true projection of how much money I have into it. What I mean to say is how much of my hard earned cash out of my own pocket so I seeing as I have put back into every penny the project has generated I have classed this as a credit because I didn't have to earn it (apart from putting a few adverts up but that doesn't class as work in my book).

The amazing thing is the Landy has given me more money back than I paid for it to start with and I have the thing sat on my driveway! I know that's a rare occurrence these days but its also left me feeling a bit smug!

So all in all the project costs are still looking good and my aim now is to get it roadworthy by the end of January, it was Christmas but with my new start time at work I don't think that's going to be possible.

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

2x Batteries and rear 1/4 light £35

Pair Battery Terminal Clamps £3.99

Floor pan nuts & bolts £6.50

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

Complete set of lights £85

5 Litres Primer £24.99

4 Discovery Wheels £10.20

Rear Door £21.00

Front Door £20.00

Handbrake spring £1.50

2 Discovery wheels

Two seatbelts

Wing Mirror

2 Headlight surrounds

2 headlight frames £60

2 Front Doors £60

Nato Green Paint £36

Rear Window Seal and insert £9.99

Wiring connectors £3.00

2 tins of silver metal paint £7.00

Fuses & Sandpaper £4.50

5x tins black spray £5.00

5x more tins black spray £5.00

Clutch fluid

Exhaust putty

WD40 £8.49

Car Boot Bits £13

Front & rear shocks £59.45

Front & rear brake rebuild kits £81.62

Fuel tank & filler £40

Wheels complete with tyres £250

Fuel pump

Fuel hose

Indicator stalk

Bonnet strap

Brake switch

Fuel pump gasket

Fuel line clips £67.74

24v Wiper motor

24v flasher relay

24v heater

24v front loom

oil cooler

Door tops x2

Rear bench seat £67.50

Roof rack £100

Wheel nuts £8

Brake pipe kit £39

Wheels & Tyres £250

CREDIT FOR BITS SOLD OFF OF PROJECT £389

TOTAL £1388.16

Just be happy you got a daughter, i always wanted one but nature decided differently. We got dogs instead.

see the land rover as a excuse to get away from girly talk ;) if you would be close to Mablethorpe you could hide in my shed.

you would love the old tools i got, health and safety from the 1960's apply, yep your own brain.

so far i spend 4000 pounds in parts alone, spending 100 for another pallet load today :)

it is hard to polish out the effects of neglect by previous owners....

I need to chop up the old matress and make seats and back rests, a hot cutting wire in a frame and see where it takes me.

Padded Corners

Main

Posted by min200 Sat, October 25, 2014 18:02:46

I had bought tickets to go to a Medieval Fair at Nottingham Castle today for me and my youngest as Wifey was off first thing to a Spa for a fiends birthday. Well my daughter dumped me at the first chance to go away on holiday for a week with my parents I mean who would rather go away with their grandparents to be spoilt rotten for a week when you could go for a few hours to look at folk dressed up like jesters and the like eh?

I'm glad she went because the Fair was bloody awful. Don't get me wrong here there was a lot of effort put into by the "players" and if you were seven or under it would have been a spellbinding place I am sure but as an adult it was, lets say, cringe worthy. Each to their own.

Luckily the castle, which is well worth a visit at any time you are passing, was holding a large display in the gallery about The Great War and its effects on the local folk who both fought in it and those lefty behind here. I am just going to take a moment here and say we owe so very much to those lads that fought and died in the most awful of surrounds. We owe al of our forces both now and then our way of life and our luxuries thank you just doesn't seem enough does it?

After a couple of hours milling about I forced a KFC down my neck for lunch (be rude not to while in town) ad headed home to see if I could finish those pads off on the last three corners. I have to look at brakes that way "the last three" because I do hate doing the spiteful bloody things.

I went for a change in tactics today because I knew the clocks are going back tonight so not as much light later in the day to play and the fact Wifey will be back around lunchtime to spoil/tell me about her pampering stuff. It will have something to do with hot stones and massage I am sure but what I am not so sure about is that it all sounds like a list of what's available at the local whore house.

So first I finished off the back brakes and this all went rather swimmingly. I plugged myself into my music, this is a first for me whilst working on the landy but I fancied a change, and set to removing the front wheel and old brakes along with the cylinders. An elderly gentleman walked past looking me directly in the face and grinning wildly which seems a bit odd but we live in a city and there are a few odd balls about.

The front brakes have the twin cylinders so this made the job of refitting the pads a lot easier as you only have to battle on spring at a time instead of the two on the back end. Time for a change of album on the phone and the wheel went back on.

A couple of spotty teenagers walked past staring at me and grinning away...again bloody odd twice in a row but maybe they think I look daft in my bandana you know with me being over twenty one and all.

The last corner beckoned so I delved in full of confidence at how easy this was going to be because I had worked out a couple of tricks on how to slide the pads in using a large screwdriver. New album and a bit of country music this time always good for making you feel happy. So moving my head in time to the music I notice a mum and her kids walking past me staring away and smiling like Cheshire cats so this is getting creepy now. I have been working on the Landy how long? and no one has ever walked past staring away at me and looking at me like I am the funniest looking ape in the zoo so surely there must be something daft on my face? A quick check in the door mirror proves nothings wrong just a devilishly handsome chap staring back so the last brakes get my attention again.

The new cylinders fitted, on auto pilot because I'm good at this now, but something looked amiss.

Spot the mistake?

20141025_160611_zps28a753fd.jpg

Yep fitted the bloody things backwards. Not just the top mind when I should have noticed it but the bottom as well! The suns out and the country mix has me tapping away so no bother just undo all the nuts and change them around again.

Chucked the new pads on and it looks much better.

20141025_162550_zps35d022b0.jpg

Tidy up time and a lad in his mid twenties walks past mostly looking down with a smirk on his face and the odd furtive glance my way and I have to say people are starting to piss me off now because not only are they rude but the next who smirks or grins at me like a nut job is going to get a serious amount of abuse.

I throw my tools in the back of the Landy and spend ten minutes just taping up a few wires and fitting an inline fuel filter. Then As I walk up the side of my house my neighbour is stood there smiling like a nut job at me so enough is enough and I pull out my head phones and say to him "Why are you smiling at me like you havejust taken all the bloody happy pills? Loads of people have been all day and its starting to piss me right off" to which he replies without missing a beat...

"It's your singing voice chap, very dulcet tone indeed and an all afternoon performance for free!"

Apparently he is going to copy me in on the videos of it going up on you tube.