• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

back lights and Birthdays

Main

Posted by min200 Tue, September 02, 2014 09:20:33

Have you seen the weather out there today? It's glorious! The sun is shining in a clear blue cloudless sky. Can you imagine having this sort of day to do as you please no work a days holiday booked, I can imagine it and I can also tick most of those boxes but my there is some fuss on in the house today because my eldest daughter is turning 18.

You would think that it was an important event the way they are all going in this house and the fuss that is coming form me posting this picture on her facebook page is unbelievable!

jADE18_zpscceb9999.jpg

Cant see what the fuss is about myself?

Anyway the best thing about today is that the women in my household do like a lie in when they get the chance (lazy gits really) so I walked the dog and then got stuck into having a look at my number plate light housing. The old one was a bit broken and rusty.

003_zps2ac83788.jpg

First I had to remove the protective cover cunningly held on by a single 8mm nut

005_zps2f8170e6.jpg

This exposed the back of the old housing so a quick turn of a couple of nuts

006_zps2c6ddb20.jpg

and its off with the old

007_zps962f016f.jpg

then on with the new part. I did think about replacing this with a genuine Land Rover part but after costing it all up and deciding that that small mortgage could wait for another day I "acquired" the bit I fitted from a mechanic friend for the price of a cup of tea...that I made with his stuff ;)

I did have to drill a new hole but hey that's a small price to pay for saving some cash.

008_zps5a243e41.jpg

just need to fill that little hole and touch up the paint work and all is good.

Well apparently we are going out for brunch I have just been told and there is some threat of shopping going on as well god help me. Why oh why could I not have had a whole brood of sons?

[h=2]Do I line them up?[/h]MainPosted by min200 Sat, September 06, 2014 20:23:31

I am in a bit of a quandary this evening. One Land Rover does always lead to another BUT I didn't think it would happen this soon. There is maybe an opportunity to acquire an 88" model as well at a good price that would need nothing more than a few hours work to get back onto the road.

This would have me charging around off road this side of Christmas and leave the 109" on the drive for a more leisurely rebuild...

Oh what to do?

Come on folks throw a little advice my way here!

If it is in good nick, buy it and put the hours in.

when your 109 is done then you can decide to keep it spare ( what i would do) or sell it on to make a spares pile for the 109.

you take advice from a owner of 5, my wife got 2, i gave my dad 2 so 9 land rovers in total...

if it is cheap enough just buy it. if it is in need of tlc, take pictures and we will help out.

i need to get my arc welder in :-)

first i need to get a engine ready, i got one with a broken pulley and great bores, another with a good pulley but unknown bores.

i will pull the head, if it is ok then do the big end bearings and piston rings, fit military sump and fit in the truck,

if the axle parts and paddocks early xmass parcel get here i will be doing brakes and new back plates.

shall i make a ongoing thread as well? it gives you something to read.

and as i did catch up with the thread, belated happy birthday for your daughter, she looks cute with that hat ;) ..

is she interested in technology? you can let her help you fix the landies up, and have a excuse to buy a 3rd one... for her ;)

She is not interested at all in cars she wants to be a biker chick which is fine by me as I ride every day so will teach her properly!

Always start up a thread chap if it helps someone great and if not its nice to see what you have been doing! I have just ordered brake rebuild kits but have decided to rebuild the whole brake system from front to back. Wont be cheap but hey ho may as well do it properly. We are going to the big Land rover show in Peterborough in a week or so and there will be bits galore collected there!

Best go and get the piggy bank emptied lol

Not alot doing.

Main

Posted by min200 Tue, September 09, 2014 08:42:17

I haven't really had a chance to do much this past week because of the way the wonderful new shift pattern falls at work to include Saturdays. This shift pattern is so good it is already failing leaving trunks with no drivers at all times of the day and we did point this out before it was implemented but we were just "moaning drivers who don't like change".

Don't get me wrong we are moaning drivers and we don't like any sort of change especially if it includes making us work weekends but we are not thick and we can see what's in front of our faces even if the kids fresh out of Uni with a bit of paper that says they are transport managers cannot. Bless em 22 years old and know it all, they can't drive a truck everywhere is half an inch away on a map "Birmingham to Carlise only an hour or so" and still struggle to find their own asses whilst Mummy does their washing because they still live at home with mounting students debts BUT we drivers are the thickos with no idea...you have to laugh!

Still enough moaning I have had a chance to spray up the old Jerry can I bought in my specially designed spray booth...

006_zpsd19ebb63.jpg

It's come up quite well I think. I did consider using some of my left over nato green paint but then found out I did have any paint brushes so a black spray can that was kicking around it was!

Land Rovers are like buses and I have been offered two more in the last few days but after much thinking and worrying and cursing to myself I decided to buy one. The first an 88" had been sold and the second a 109" was in being stored in Lancaster so that put an end to that. For the best really as I have come too far with this old motor to get distracted now!

I'm making a list of parts I need for the Land Rover Show in Peterborough in a week or so and the primary bits will be the rest of the brake system rebuild along with a couple of nice defender seats that I will find for a tenner....oh no that was a dream I had last night.

A weekend off is looming so hopefully I can get a bit of the brake rebuild started.

www.nickysmith.me

Don't get me wrong we are moaning drivers and we don't like any sort of change especially if it includes making us work weekends but we are not thick and we can see what's in front of our faces even if the kids fresh out of Uni with a bit of paper that says they are transport managers cannot. Bless em 22 years old and know it all, they can't drive a truck everywhere is half an inch away on a map "Birmingham to Carlise only an hour or so" and still struggle to find their own asses whilst Mummy does their washing because they still live at home with mounting students debts BUT we drivers are the thickos with no idea...you have to laugh!

Ho ho, when I did my degree in auto engineering, sharing our building were those doing theirs in 'Transport Management and Planning' - now I know where they found employment ;)

trevor

Postage & Steering

Main

Posted by min200 Sat, September 13, 2014 17:54:54

I love the internet. I love being able to hop on it and order what I need knowing it will turn up a couple of days later and I have not had to drive around to a few different places talking to teenage pleb ends who have no interest in what I want to buy or in giving the correct product let alone the time of day.

I do try and box clever with delivery though. I order stuff aiming for it to arrive when I am around the house to save that nightmare trip to the local sorting office to be met by a grown up pleb who will not be able to find my parcel amongst the piles of them they have hidden out of eyesight in these places.

My family don't share the same view on delivery they just order their crap normally from the other side of the world and then miss the delivery and moan like bloody hell until they have it in their hands and promptly forget about the tat they have bought in a couple of hours. My eldest daughter has done just that. She missed a parcel she just "HAD" to have today but she was at work all morning and the sorting office would be closed when she was done so the inevitable "Daaaadd" came out and I was forced to go and pick the bloody thing up this morning.

The thing is I had ordered a tank bag for the motorbike as I would need it for the charity week that's fast approaching and I had to collect some bits for the Landy this morning but "no great panic" I thought to myself as Wifey and the youngest will be in while I am out so all they have to do is answer the door and take it off of the postman.

No great task that is it?

Well I picked up a replacement fuel tank along with the funnel fittings and a set of steering bars then headed for the sorting office. All was going well and I was making good time until I arrived there. There were a few folk queuing all the way down the side of the building of course so my marathon 45 minute wait for a parcel I didn't want or need started.

The one single pleb serving seemed to be illiterate which is a handy trait a post office building and seemed to look at pictures on his phone more than peoples collection cards. Stating my annoyance in a civil manner of course is probably why he took 5 minutes to have a cup of tea/collect my daughters parcel but I had it soon enough and escaped home to find a big red parcel collection note on my front door mat and my wonderful family still snoring in bed.

They still wonder why I am pissed off! Back to the sorting office pleb on Monday morning for my tank bag it is then.

Still I had the chance of a couple of hours on the project today so firstly I had to spray up the new steering bars ready for fitting as the rust colour wasn't that fetching

012_zps4ae05155.jpg

Then I cleaned up and sealed the replacement fuel tank

013_zpsd70b61b7.jpg

The reason for changing from twin tanks to a single is because I want a filler neck. The idea of taking out both seat bases when I fuel up really is unappealing so while I am doing the rebuild of the fuel system which was everything but the fuel tank a little extra work is not a problem.

Then it was onto the steering bars. The original ones were banana shaped and god only knows how they ended up that way! I can only presume some monkey decided to strap it up on them or lift them with a fork lift!

014_zps6d319865.jpg

The bends were pretty severe so much so the front wheels were facing inwards. The smaller bar came off easy enough but the longer bar decided it had to have the usual blood and pain sacrifice to the Landy gods before giving up.

One set of the replacement track rod ends were in reqally good condition but I will need to replace the ones on the longer bar but I have fitted the bar into place to keep everything in the right order and nit confuse myself!

They look well though and yes I know I am sad liking how my new steering bars look!

015_zpsc5c79273.jpg

The wheels are straight now which is nice! I managed to swap these bars for an old wing skin I had kicking around which is always better than having to pay for them!

Of course then the Wife started shouting about how I had to get clean because we have to go and do something dull somewhere else so the tools were packed away and I took solace in the mental list I have of whats left to do.

***I have just realised that my costing list has not taken into account the refunds of money for the bits I have sold off of the Landy. I shall tot up what I have made and then add it as a credit to the costing's***

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

2x Batteries and rear 1/4 light £35

Pair Battery Terminal Clamps £3.99

Floor pan nuts & bolts £6.50

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

Complete set of lights £85

5 Litres Primer £24.99

4 Discovery Wheels £10.20

Rear Door £21.00

Front Door £20.00

Handbrake spring £1.50

2 Discovery wheels

Two seatbelts

Wing Mirror

2 Headlight surrounds

2 headlight frames £60

2 Front Doors £60

Nato Green Paint £36

Rear Window Seal and insert £9.99

Wiring connectors £3.00

2 tins of silver metal paint £7.00

Fuses & Sandpaper £4.50

5x tins black spray £5.00

5x more tins black spray £5.00

Clutch fluid

Exhaust putty

WD40 £8.49

Car Boot Bits £13

Front & rear shocks £59.45

Front & rear brake rebuild kits £81.62

Fuel tank & filler £40

TOTAL £1039.92

www.nickysmith.me

Multinational company with three letters... BAM?

as a tip, if you can find a bad fuel tank, cut the tank open from the top and use it as a tool box.

i had a talk with my wife about your daughter. a bike rider needs to know basic mechanical skill, land rovers are great.

if she wants to start on a 125 rev and go, we got one for sale soon.

Sickness sunshine & shock absorbers

Main

Posted by min200 Sun, September 14, 2014 17:54:55

A full weekend off is a rare treat these days as work in the modern world takes no distinction from the days of the week.

Our plans for the day were to head off into Derbyshire on the motorbike as we were kid free as well for a change which gives us a chance to be Nick & Lian again instead of Muuuum and Daaad but as I opened my eyes I knew that Autumn was coming and long with it a batch of new bugs to have a go at the system.

I felt like someone had removed me from my slumber during the night taking me outside placing me in the middle of the road just in time for the nearest bus to hit me.

Sore throat sick stomach and a pounding head...not a good mix for a day on the bike. Wifey soon awoke as well complaining of the same and I knew she must be ill because she was awake and up before 9am on a weekend day off.

I am not one for sitting about and feeling sorry for myself when a bug hits home in fact I have dragged myself to work more than once when feeling bad only to be turned around as soon as I got there by the staff quoting some health and safety bull about driving when you look like crap! so seeing as the sun was out and the kids had done a fine job of buggering off we popped out to a car boot sale where I picked up a towball, bottle jack and a water container for the Landy for the grand sum on £5.40. Should be useful on trips out!

When we got home Wifey collapsed on the sofa and I have to say I was tempted to join her but the weather was good and I thought a potter on the project was a good idea. I decided to see how hard it was to sort the shock absorbers.

The front ones were pretty rusty..

001_zps4b2133c3.jpg

I set to taking the split pin out which came ok considering how long its been there and was still in a usable condition. The top bolts came out no bother at all.

002_zps380974ef.jpg

Now folk have been telling me that when you fit a new front shock its a bitch to get the pin back in because the new rubbers need compressing so much and the ideas and tools folk had made made the mind boggle!

I found it was just easy to first clamp on side down with a g clamp tp put the pin in and then clamp the other side and push the split pin through.

004_zpsab438e90.jpg

Looks better with the new shock in place :)

005_zps3c5ca264.jpg

I was still feeling ok-ish so I tackeled the other side as well!

Then onto the back ones. These were a bit more of a pain because the rust was so bad on the back ones.

007_zps9e866ca1.jpg

I ended up having to grind them off but please take note here and be mindful of the axle straps because if you don't you will end up having to buy new ones...

008_zps48a19119.jpg

I fitted the new shock no bother and again it looks good under there :)

011_zps92fb7220.jpg

I did the other side to but I then admitted defeat to the bugs in my body. The rest of the day will be spent eating chocolate drinking tea and maybe a strong bit of something medicinal later on this evening.

www.nickysmith.me

Shows Parts and Pennies

Main

Posted by min200 Sun, September 21, 2014 16:05:50

Excuse me if this gets a little disjointed the Wife is chewing my ear about some nonsense that A) doesn't effect me and B) I am not the slightest bit interested in but I must pretend I am listening and grunt in the right places or she will just talk for longer.

Yesterday was the Land Rover show at Peterborough and I have been looking forward to it. As a Land rover show "virgin" I was under the impression I would be able to buy all of the bits I needed to complete my little project and took enough money to do so after pricing the parts up online. How mistaken I was.

If you wanted to buy a winch bumper or spend a small fortune on a flashy interior that was the place to go. If you wanted to pay more than new prices for old bits of scrap at the auto jumble stores this was the place for you! I mean one bloke tried to charge me £30 for a series indicator stalk....THIRTY BLOODY QUID for a £12 part???? yea ok mate would you like my pin number as well in fact have the wife while you are at it!

Now don't get me wrong it was great looking at all the different motors I was quite in my element with that but going for the normal rebuild parts is obviously a bad idea and now I know so next year I shall go prepared and buy a winch bumper.

I particularly liked this stand...

003_zps36484904.jpg

Anyway when I got home I jumped online and ordered loads of new bits in fact enough bits to hopefully finish the Landy off apart from anything the axles need and front seats.

I then found an old advert for 24v bits near my parents place so I called and bought all manner of bits off of the chap including a rear bench seat so something else ticked off of the list.

Then there was the wheels. You know I spent ages deciding what colour to paint my wheels and ended up with black which was all nice and good now only needing new tyres. I found some tyres. They were really good tyres. They were on the same rims as I had already done up so I am not going to be taking them off of one set to put them on the other same type of wheel set like was suggested by the wife who couldn't see the issue with spending the money to swap them over onto exactly the same wheels.

So she told me to paint them again.

005_zpsa4a05efb.jpg

But I am far too tight to go and buy more spray paint. Why would I when there is perfectly good NATO paint in the shed so I thought I would try that first and the results are pretty good even if I do say so myself.

006_zpsaac43259.jpg

Bugger the black NATO green it is then!

The fuel system strip out was next on todays list so I jumped to it and it took all of 20 minutes to remove both tanks and the change over switch.

007_zps9ea59301.jpg

008_zpsf8d09174.jpg

009_zps181cf1c6.jpg

010_zps10fbe115.jpg

The Chassis had a quick rub down and was under sealed again. No pictures of it painted black you have seen all that before! I did clean up the twin tanks and they will be on Ebay later today along with the set of 5 steel disco wheels I no longer need!

There was one last buy at the Landy show that dear Wifey made me get. Apparently I am a bit of a git for wrecking clothes when working on the project so a babygrow was in order.

Babygrow_zpsf6f91d01.jpg

This way I am told I can wear what ever I want to work on it and never ruin anything but it doesn't matter that I look like I am about to pay some expensive hooker who deals in extreme fetishes a large amount of money.

I like a challenge.....

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

2x Batteries and rear 1/4 light £35

Pair Battery Terminal Clamps £3.99

Floor pan nuts & bolts £6.50

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

Complete set of lights £85

5 Litres Primer £24.99

4 Discovery Wheels £10.20

Rear Door £21.00

Front Door £20.00

Handbrake spring £1.50

2 Discovery wheels

Two seatbelts

Wing Mirror

2 Headlight surrounds

2 headlight frames £60

2 Front Doors £60

Nato Green Paint £36

Rear Window Seal and insert £9.99

Wiring connectors £3.00

2 tins of silver metal paint £7.00

Fuses & Sandpaper £4.50

5x tins black spray £5.00

5x more tins black spray £5.00

Clutch fluid

Exhaust putty

WD40 £8.49

Car Boot Bits £13

Front & rear shocks £59.45

Front & rear brake rebuild kits £81.62

Fuel tank & filler £40

Wheels complete with tyres £250

Fuel pump

Fuel hose

Indicator stalk

Bonnet strap

Brake switch

Fuel pump gasket

Fuel line clips £67.74

24v Wiper motor

24v flasher relay

24v heater

24v front loom

oil cooler

Door tops x2

Rear bench seat £67.50

TOTAL £1425.16

Tanks and Switches

Main

Posted by min200 Sat, September 27, 2014 18:50:26

Have you ever been volunteered for a job at work and you think "yea why not it will make a change and a few extra quid" then as soon as you started doing that job thought "Why in Gods name did I say I would do this?" Well that's where I am at now.]

12 hours a day 6 days a week seemed like a great idea bringing in extra cash but the actual job is mind numbing as hell! Basically I am a traffic director whilst a massive area outside of the biggest warehouse we have is being re tarmacked so I get to argue with outside drivers that they cant park their trucks there and basically puch people around to keep the flow of trailers moving....I would rather be hung up by my pubic hair on the nearest light bulb than do the next two weeks I have left on it!

But there was a silver lining as we finished phase one within a couple hours of arriving at work this morning so I promptly ran off home before I could be found some other mind numbing chore for me to do by those folk in the offices that all they seem to do is compare job titles and measure each others dicks!

So onto the landy as soon as I got home with the unexpected extra time I had in the day. I decided on rebuilding the fuel system that I stripped out last time I had any time on the old girl. First was to remove the old fuel pump that was caked up with some sort of fuzz and cobwebs.

005_zps2e2f8a79.jpg

The fuel lines were brittle as hell so getting them out wasn't a problem.

006_zps91e9cada.jpg

Two bolts that hold the fuel pump on cam off easily and to my surprise there was no gasket behind it so it may of rotted away or not been there to start with but it made cleaning the face up for a good fit of the new pump easy.

I popped the pump on and then fitted new brake line front to back but discovered that the flexi hose that connects to the carb was perished but does it have to have that? Is it going to cause me any great problems without it? I shall be asking around to see but fitting it later wont be a problem.

010_zps005e93a4.jpg

Then it was onto fitting the 88" fuel tank. Apart from cutting a hole in the floor for the filler to come out of it wasn't really a problem apart from the fact that if you don't have a large high jack, two pairs of hands or the use of the force you will struggle to do this by yourself.

Having said that the lovely ladies of my home just looked at me like I had asked if they would clean the front driveway with their tongues when I asked for a helping hand so I went and dug out my big jack, my spare set of hands, quickly read up on my jedi mind powers and got stuck in. After 20 minutes of mild foul language dropping tools when I really could have done without doing so and a couple of trapped fingers later the tank was in.

I connected the fuel pipe then looked at the wiring from the twin tanks realising I had not marked or taken any notice of what two wires I would need to plug back in for the fuel gauge to work called myself a few derogatory names and added it to my list of what I must find out as well as finding out where the fuel filler cap should be so it works and connects to the tank as its supposed to.

After a quick tidy around, the driveway was starting to look like a jumble sale with tools and rubbish strewn all over the place, I decided to fit the new brake switch. It wasn't too hard but I did have to slacken off the top nuts on the brake servo in order to remove the old and fit the new brake switch.

011_zps53f00fca.jpg

After some fiddling around I actually got the brake lights to work! That's one set of lights on the rear of the motor that actually do!!

There was one troubling thing I did notice while crawling around under the landy and that was maybe a couple of bolts might be missing from what I think is the clutch housing...could be something else mind but Im learning as I go here but they are missing in the following pics if anyone can shed any light on it...

007_zps8cdc085d.jpg

009_zpsd5a869b0.jpg

So another pleasant afternoon spent pottering about when I should have been working which has made it so much more enjoyable.

The threaded hole is a plug hole.

the wading plug can be seen in the same picture as it is situated close by.

put plug in the hole when you go wading, remove it afterwards as sometimes oil will drip out when a) crankshaft seal goes wrong b) clutch slave is f*cked.

if you forget to plug the hole and mud gets in, your clutch plate gets a glass coating, ask me how i know.

LOL did your clutch slip a bit by any chance?

Thanks for the heads up :)

Feels like I am getting somewhere with this project now after months of spending and playing and I am glad I kept this blog because its only when I have a read back through I realise how much I have actually done to it!

What can you do in 5 mins?

Main

Posted by min200 Sun, September 28, 2014 20:09:43

A proper day off today and as it turns out it was my wedding anniversary...whoops. Now luckily I was up very early because of the daft hours im working and downstairs I found a card from Wifey to me. Soooo I quickly headed out to "walk the dog" before she woke up and actually found a decnt bunch of flowers at the petrol station up the road along with a blank card to write in! I mean what are the odds of finding both at the local BP? talk about luck on my side!

So with Wifey happy when she woke up we headed off into Derbyshire to have a hunt around a carboot/market and lunch out in the park at Matlock. While we were sitting there it came to my attention what ****e parenting goes on in the world. There was a women screaming at a two year old that he was a waste of space and needed to wlk faster, a Dad looking more at his phone while his kid was doing his best to drown himself in the river but the cream de le cream were the parents that were just smiling at their daughter who just kept screaming at the top of her voice and this was a scream that could break glass over a ten minute period because she wanted an ice cream.

Now when I was a kid I got a slap if I stood out of line, if my parents weren't there to do it any other adult that was kicking around would happily stand in and give you a slap if you were being a ****. I have slapped my own kids on the very rare occasion it has been needed and they have turned out to be ok with no mental scars but we seem to have the first generation that was raised without punishments for their actions now having their own kids whilst having no clue what to do to discipline them. Honestly it takes everything I have inme not to first walk up to the latest little ****s and tell them off whilst slapping their parents at the same time.

Still enough of my griping Wifey decided she was going to hoover the car out so I had a window of twenty minutes to do something Landy related but what can you do in that time without getting filthy?

The answer is gators. Two gators one on the handbrake and one on the 4wd knob.

001_zps649a1a34.jpg

002_zps02dc7d83.jpg

Easy enough to do just whip out the screws take off the old gators and refit!

The old gators were past their best!

003_zps2405b5b3.jpg

Then the hoover went quiet so playtime was over. Next job will be to finish the fuel pipe cap bit on the bodywork at some point over the next couple of weeks.

Yes, clutch plate was glass and pressure group was burned blue. I had three hours of motorway miles to do but Patch got us home.

As for wedding anniversaries i have it easy, my parents got marrued in August, my younger brother shared that date and so did me and the wife.

First anniversary gift was a set of hand cut gaskets, to go with free wheel hubs for her :)

i got craft knifes and a heap of gasket papers, another gift was blue role. Handy kit :)

Ebay got the better of me, i bought a lathe, next on the list is a press and i might start a business in repair works.

Health and safety beware... I do not master safety ;)

That is the bonus of having a wife that loves her land rovers.

once i get her 2,25 petrol engine build with 5 main bearings and i got the brakes done on my swb,

i can start on removing a V8 from her ambulance and strip it with rebuild. The gearbox i will revive too.

if you plan to go to the war and peace show, we can meet up for a beer :) my wife can teach your daughter a few things about being a woman biker too.

Cheers, Arjan

Folkstone racecourse, Kent.

my dad brings his 101fc from holland, we bring a series 3 109 ex RAF.

if needed we can bring extra beer, proper Grolsch , belgium ale and herbal booze to top it up.

i can teach you a few things about landies, show you adaptions for disability use etc.

if you visit on pancake night, we bake a few for you too, dutch tradition :) two years ago we had bacon night, 3kg of bacon to be had till the kitchen in the tent caught fire.

When we have the generator running battery charge is easy, the petrol genny won't run so i think a stationary diesel would work for that, till i can get a unit on PTO :)