Kangaroos

Great War truck

A friend gave me a WW2 British unit history about the campaigns of a Division (Battle axe i think it was) during the campaign in Italy. They made frequent reference to assaults involving kangaroos. Now i am familiar with the Ram kangaroo used during the North European campaign, but this is the first time i have come across them being used in Italy.

Do you think that these would also be Rams, or something else. No Rolf Harris jokes please!

Tim (too)

Tim (too)

That would be, 'Kangaroo force', operated by 38 Brig.

consisting of 9th lancers, 4th Hussars, 2nd London Irish Rifles, and a self propelled RA Battery.

They used sherman's converted for troop carrying, containing reserves of ammo,food etc.

Hope this is of some use, :-)

Andy

Hi, Some info on this ........

Sherman Kangaroo,........after the useage of Ram kangaroo APC's in nw europe during '44 was seen to have been a qualified sucsess, the 8th army commander requested a regt for italian front.

Between oct '44 and april '45, 75 sherman III's, were converted by brig workshop. Turret removed,interior gutted giving room for 10 infanyrymen plus crew of 2.

M7 Priest ,.........a total of 102 vehicles were converted to kangaroo apc's Oct'44 - april'45, by the removal of gun and mount, removal of ammo bins and the plating in of the front hull. This work was carried ouy, 'in field', by brig workshops, an vehicles used - along with sherman kangaroos, by a specially organised APC regt of 8th army, on Italian front.

Priest kangaroo carried 20 infantrymen and 2 crew.

Turrets and associated kit was also removed when converted to gun towers, when the room was used to carry gun crew and 17prd ammo.

this conversion was known to have been carried out on small no of M4a2 sherman's, again for italian front.

Andy