Which Oils?

agmerlin

Hello All,

i guess this this subject has been mentioned before for a number of different vehicles but I would like to know what the modern equivalents are to HD50 and HD10 which is what the 3HW handbook says should be used in the Engine and Gearbox (HD50) and primary chain case (HD10)

i have seen modern equivalents to Straight 40 oils etc but are they ok to use or is ok to just use modern synthetics etc

any thoughts?

many thanks

Andy

10HD, 30HD, and 50HD are based on the SAE grade's 10, 30, and 50 respectively which shouldn't have changed.

The HD relates to a detergent additive which might have changed however. The safe option is probably to go with straight oil.

If you're not sure what was in there beforehand, keep in mind that there were concerns in the move to HD oils as to the amount of crud that would be churned up and block oil lines and filters. If it's run on straight oil for a while you may have to observe similar precautions if moving to a detergent oil.

Edited by Lauren Child

Hello All,

i guess this this subject has been mentioned before for a number of different vehicles but I would like to know what the modern equivalents are to HD50 and HD10 which is what the 3HW handbook says should be used in the Engine and Gearbox (HD50) and primary chain case (HD10)

i have seen modern equivalents to Straight 40 oils etc but are they ok to use or is ok to just use modern synthetics etc

any thoughts?

many thanks

Andy

Andy,

Your motorcycle is of the same age as my M20, that was specified to use SAE50 engine oil originally and that is what I have always used, one of the vintage or Classic straight grade SAE50 oils, which are of a very low detergency. Originally non-detergent but now just a trace so the oil companies say. Morris Vintage oil, Comma Classic, Castrol Classic, etc.

Richard