Subtext in a post

Enigma

Question

10 answers to this question

Here you are, elevated to a Dukedom and you still call us mere mortals "mate". You have the common touch. Verrily you are a prince among men (+women, yoofs and the odd Spurs fan).

If you're a Duke, will we be getting a safari park to tack on to the HMVF club house? The HMVF World of Misadventures? Don't let the baboons near your

machine guns.

Worry not foreign prince, for I have embarked on a new career myself. I saw an ad for the job in the Southend Evening Echo. It was between the stuff for roadsweepers and Thai saunas.

skills required were:

Verbosity; ownership of a three wheeled German jeep; complete disinterest in modern era football; a liking for pizza; but the clincher was, I had to be a childhood friend of Buster Bloodvessel.

The job is mine. They said something about maidens, camels, a magic lamp and some sort of grizzly execution; but I'll have handed in my notice before we get to that bit.

Eehm, are you guys allright?

Aren't things getting to much...Dukes Bishops? What's next?

Greetings, The Ayatollah of Rock 'n Rolla, Master of Metal, Baron of Blues, Duke of Dance, Earl of Funk, Prinece of Gelderland till Saskeatchawan, Kaiser of all the lands, CREATOR of the universe...

Whoeha ha ha.......

Eehm, are you guys allright?

Aren't things getting to much...Dukes Bishops? What's next?

Duke Bishops? Pah. I was born and grew up in County Durham, the Land of the PRINCE Bishops.

Sir Walter Scott so rightly described Durham Cathedral as “Half House of God, Half Bastion against the Scots” and the Bishop of Durham was appointed by the king to be a Prince and Viceroy giving him demigodlike powers over his vice-regency right up until the Victorians realised what powers he had and took them from him.

Remember also that in those days, Scotland started at the Tyne, and The Wall was built to keep those now known as Geordies in the Land of Darkness and out of the known universe.

The Roman legions having been fought to a standstill by the heroic efforts of the warriors of Durham, whose bloods flows in my veins to this day, the Italian Army went into a decline that remained for thousands of years, leading for example, to cruel jokes about Italian tanks with seven gears: six reverse and neutral; and packets of Airfix Italian Infantry: 2 wounded and 46 surrendering. All the Roman troops deserted and set up businesses in the local community, which explains why there are so many Italian restaurants in Co Durham to this day.

So the local Roman commander asked local artisans if they could make a defence system comprising a wall along the North bank of the Tyne with a fort every three miles, a castle every mile and a turret every 1/3 mile. The response of the locals was, in the vernacular, "Aye, marra, we can mack'em."

So the locals came to be described in Latin by the noun Mackum (declines like Bellum), meaning Artisan and passed back into English as Mackem. Those unfortunates trapped North of The Wall and starved of civilisation foolishly sided with the monarch during the wars of oppression against the Scots and became known as King George's Men. Due to their unfortunate speech impediments, this led to their being called Geordies.

Sadlly since the title of Prince Bishop was rescinded, the battle started by Emperor Hadrian to keep the Geordies out of God's Country to save his proud warrior race has been lost and the once-beautiful city has once again become a frontier outpost between the people of the known universe and the forces of darkness.

To this day you can see the Forces of Darkness roaming around Co Durham like they own the place.

<Snipped for brevity>

To this day you can see the Forces of Darkness roaming around Co Durham like they own the place.

Err - they do - sort of - ain't the new PM (unelect) and most of the cabinet hailing from the far nether regions of the Dark Zone north of the wall???