Can anyone identify a 4 wheel British Trailer?

A sprung 4 wheel drawbar trailer,10.50 x 13 tyres with mudguards, front of chassis rails extended by around 18" (to hold detachable sides?). Around 14 - 16ft long.

Plate 1 reads: M.O.S. TRAILER No. NV31751

Plate 2 reads: J B & Co Ltd 623064

I think it might be a 1950s trailer but can anyone confirm?

Fantastic!

I'd love to stumble on one of these beauties :-D

Bit thin on the ground up here.

It looks like an Eagle Engineering Mk1 or 2, the drawbar looks to have been strengthened. 1940s/early 50s

Alec

Edited by Rangie

A sprung 4 wheel drawbar trailer,10.50 x 13 tyres with mudguards, front of chassis rails extended by around 18" (to hold detachable sides?). Around 14 - 16ft long.

Hi Tony,

I was made by Brockhouse (JB & Co).

I'm even beginning to wonder if it might be a bowser chassis retrofitted with a non-military flat body - this might explain the chassis extensions at the front (although this was a feature on some later trailers for storage of drop sides).

• 1 year later...
I'm even beginning to wonder if it might be a bowser chassis retrofitted with a non-military flat body - this might explain the chassis extensions at the front (although this was a feature on some later trailers for storage of drop sides).

This trailer looks to me to be a standard Brockhouse 5 Ton GVW Mk2: i see no extensions on it just the ends of the chassis sticking out from under a farm made wood not-full-length flatbed.

M.O.S. on the plate may (But it is a guess) stand for Ministry Of Supply.

The torsion bar suspension was used on the 3 & 1/4 ton GVW Brockhouse trailers and the leaf spring suspension on the 5 ton GVW Brockhouse trailers.

What has happened to it does anyone know ad what is the rust like where the chassis members meet etc. ?

Yes its a brockhouse trailer,poss fuel bowser chassis..restoreing one at mo!

The drawbar looks odd - maybe altered for farm use?

This one is available - but it is on the south coast in Hampshire. Tyres are shot (yes that is an O, but an I would indicate a similar state).

N.O.S. hello again, we have spoken before much earlier in this thread. Back on 03/04/2014 you wrote that "This one is available - but it is on the South coast in Hampshire".

Please are you aware whether it is still available or if you do not know do you by any chance have the owner's contact details with which i could find out of the trailer's present status.

I ask this as in the photo the trailer looks like it needs rescuing and i may be able to do just that if it is still in existence and at the right price. Also, my area is the South West these days and anywhere in Hampshire is near enough from me for a rescue attempt.

Thanks

Hi NWCB,

No internet for a while now (thanks BT) - having to visit friends periodically to use their wifi.

The trailer was offered to the USAAF museum near to me - the proprietor of the museum asked me to i.d. the trailer(the owner didn't know what it was either).

I can ask at the museum tomorrow if he still has the owner's details (I think this all followed a visit by the owner to the museum so he may be in the visitors book).

If I get a result I'll PM you.

Many thanks N.O.S., i'll keep my fingers crossed - i hate to see good 40s/50s military ironwork rusting in the rain in a field or alongside a track ! I believe this is invariably because the 10.50 x 13 tyres come to the end of their life and they cannot be sourced anymore and the previously much used trailers are, up and down the country, being put out to grass (And rain) !

Yes it is a British J. Brockhouse 5ton chassis for sure: these were employed for many uses including often to carry a 900 gallon fuel bowser body.

It was advertised in a farming machinery resale magazine as a bomb trailer. The farmer with the museum made contact and the seller sent the photo up, hence my post as he asked me what it was - I told him it wasn't a bomb trailer and would try to find out.

Sorry but he no longer has any info on the seller. :(

It was advertised in a farming machinery resale magazine as a bomb trailer. The farmer with the museum made contact and the seller sent the photo up, hence my post as he asked me what it was - I told him it wasn't a bomb trailer and would try to find out.

Sorry but he no longer has any info on the seller. :(

Oh well and many thanks all the same N.O.S. for the trying ! It seems a nice trailer, still having it's plates: let's hope it is now somewhere under cover.

Thanks again.