Bedford OY brakes information

Billruston

Having trouble with the brakes, re built the master cylinder bought the missing part that it was missing, connected it all up again and can only bleed the back brakes up?, nothing from the front, the nozzle that's on the master cylinder that feeds to the front brakes it hardly pushing any fluid out a mere spit if air only comes out, I'm not an expert on brakes but would the truck running make any diffrents?, regards bill.

Bill

You should not need to start the engine to bleed the brakes, but it doesent hurt to try it as sometimes vehicles can be funny beasts.

Also have you assembled the secondary Piston correctly that pressurises the front brakes. You need to slide the piston along until the reduced diameter of the skirt comes opposite the stop pin hole, then screw home the stop pin making sure that the copper washer is in place under it. I am not trying to teach you how to suck eggs but just offering up some alternatives?

We used to get problems with the old landrover ambulances, we could not bleed the rear brakes and used to raise them on a trolley jack and leave them overnight with both bleed nipples partially open and hoped gravity would do its job, sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt.

They really need a pressure bleeder to make them work properly. A tip I was told last night but haven't tried (Waiting for oppertunity) is to run a tube from the nipple on the wheel cylinder back to the master below fluid level then pump like Bu**ery. One trick I have tried and is useful. Get a disposable syringe. Disconnect the pipe from the master and open cylinder nipple. Then use syringe to fill the pipes directly, close nipple before reatachment. From the sound of it the master is similar to the QL. We had the same problem with the central piston after rebuilding. Also worth soacking the master in fluid before fitting and bench testing to make sure it squirting in the right places.

Edited by Tony B

May be the piston wrongly positioned. Me being stupid , but as you have the cylinder out, try pushing some fluid from the outlet up into the master. That will tell you if the hole is uncovered. Phil Webb is the one who knows the system, I'll contact him later for advice. I know the QL was a complete A** to bleed, though we couldn't get it to the back. Though if the fluid is squirting out of the master at both ports then pre filling the lines might work.

Edited by Tony B

Bill

If you are getting sufficent fluid out of the master cylinder to the front brakes when you press the pedal then just follow the pipes on the front system to the next connection(possibbly a splitter junction where one pipe goes in and then two pipes go out to the wheel cylinders) and loosen that connection and see if any fluid comes out if not possibly a blocked or collapsed pipe or blocked splitter junction, if fluid comes out move on to the next connection and follow the same process loosen of union and see if fluid comes out and repaeat the process down to the wheel cylinders. I have come accross blocked flexi hoses in my time where the internal walls have collapsed due to age.

Regards

Spoke to Phil On the master cylinder are three bolts holding the push rod. If you take those bolts out you will find inside an adjuster for the push rod length. It 'Aint on the diagrams!!! :mad: Adjust that and you should get the correct spacing for the piston. Bl**dy head banging before he found it.

Having trouble with the brakes, re built the master cylinder bought the missing part that it was missing, connected it all up again and can only bleed the back brakes up?, nothing from the front, the nozzle that's on the master cylinder that feeds to the front brakes it hardly pushing any fluid out a mere spit if air only comes out, I'm not an expert on brakes but would the truck running make any diffrents?, regards bill.

HI Bill. Been following your efforts to get working front brakes on your OY. I experienced the same trouble with my truck, stripped the master cylinder cleaned it, bought new seals etc, had it off and on a dozen times with no more luck than you seem to be having. Finally gave up and bought a new unit from John Morter, fitted it and brakes all round straight away. Don't know what was wrong but couldn't get it to work on the front either. Best of luck. Rgs Ian