Starting restoration on 1954 Austin Champ in Malta.

Hi to all, I have just bought a Champ and plan to do a restoration on it. I will be needing some help and advices especially to source some spares. At present I am trying to repair the pinion for the starter motor since it was totally worn out. I could not find any spare on various sites. Fingers cross that it will be OK. :nut:

Hi Mario

Welcome to the Forum.

I believe I have a pinion in quite good condition, however I am in Australia, therefore the postage (if postage from Europe to Australia is anything to go by) will be horrendous. Anyway, let me know.

Soon, you will go over to the dark side and never come back from the Champ Side!

Simon

Hi and welcome

Champ spares are a good source but can be a bit expensive otherwise have a look at ebay.

Thanks for your valuable info. I do keep a lookout on ebay often, sometimes too often:D. I have had the pinion rebuilt,fitted and it is rather fine. My only worry is that the brass used may be not be the most ideal, but it will hold for some time till I get a substitute. I have just finished a 4year resto on an Armstrong Siddeley 346. Had other plans to start restoring one of my other cars but chose this Champ. It is a challege but I can see it ready in 3 years.

Hi Mario

Welcome to the Forum.

I believe I have a pinion in quite good condition, however I am in Australia, therefore the postage (if postage from Europe to Australia is anything to go by) will be horrendous. Anyway, let me know.

Soon, you will go over to the dark side and never come back from the Champ Side!

Simon

Hi Simon It is really nice of you to offer, I think I can wait till I get one from Europe, as you said postage is a hidden pain.I went for the first ride yesterday with the Champ after fitting the Starter motor and it really is fantastic.

Welcome to the HMVF fellow champ owner, I'll have a look at some spare starters I have to see if they are good for spares for you post a pic of what you are looking for as there are two types of starter

Cheers RR.

Hi RR,

Thanks this puts my mind at rest. I hope you can open the attachments included and identify the motor.

Thanks.

Mario.

IMG_1485[1].jpg

IMG_1457[1].jpg

oooooooooooer !! bit worn isn't it :-D I'll have a look in my shed tomo for you.

Cheers J.

as you see it is really in a sorry state. If you have one extra I will buy it from you. I will be painting some panels soon and still undecided what color to do it. in Malta it is more suitable desert sand color ( we have no forests over here) Where any champs produced in this shade ?

salute

Mario.