RB44's

AlanE

Hello everyone,

Firstly thanks for taking the time to read my rambling's, I am often described as many uncomplimentary things, so my choice in green machines may well suit me, but what I am looking to find out is how many RB44's are in use today , I actually think they are overshadowed by a bad reputation , and before the hellfire starts , no mine has good brakes ! Maybe a case of book judged by cover ? But comments and feedback welcomed .

Hello everyone,

Firstly thanks for taking the time to read my rambling's, I am often described as many uncomplimentary things, so my choice in green machines may well suit me, but what I am looking to find out is how many RB44's are in use today , I actually think they are overshadowed by a bad reputation , and before the hellfire starts , no mine has good brakes ! Maybe a case of book judged by cover ? But comments and feedback welcomed .

Loads still in use I was out in mine today.

A lot have gone abroad to some of what would be considered third world countries as they are a basic vehicle no ecu's drum brakes chunky tyres perfect for off road use and rough roads.

Hello everyone,

Mines of to MOT prep then in for its first test in the next couple of weeks , fingers crossed should be on the road soon :)

I sold miine just before christmas to fund another project, the next project hasn't worked out yet, so to fill the drive I bought an ex militery 110.

I have to say the RB is better in all respects than the the 110, more room, more comfortable to drive and whole lot more fun. The land rover is positively delicate in comparison.

The only thing you have to look out for is lack of maintenance, every problem I had was due to missed maintenance.

Grease your propshafts thoroughly, before you go anywhere, many people have destroyed their front props including me.

Change all the fluids. Cannot stress this enough.

Fit grease nipples to your steering rod ends, they are getting harder to find.

...and if your steering starts getting a bit stiff, change the supply hose to the pump.

and ignore all the stupid comments about them veering of the road, as this was fixed by the addition of the tie bars on the front axle.

you can probably find my exploits on here with a little searching.

My 92 RB44GS is on the road here in Western Canada. Its a great truck. No issues at all easy to work on and fun to drive. When I got it safetied they said the brakes were brand new and they work great. Had it out the other day to get some work done on the tilt. Cruised down what we call a motorway at 100Km/Hr no worries. But all this shifting with my left hand is killing my shoulder. LOL:-).

• 3 weeks later...
Mines of to MOT prep then in for its first test in the next couple of weeks , fingers crossed should be on the road soon :)

passed its first mot today , with a lot of help from some good friends, Now to sort out the registration with dvla , wish we still had a local offices , never had a problem at Chester. If it's not broken don't fix it comes to mind.

Regards Tony

The more of them back on the road the better I say ,so to help the cause I just bought another one but with a Radio Body this time , so that's 2 in the bag ! just kneed a tidy winch wagon project if they haven't all gone abroad or had a tipper fitted for all those tree surgeons out there !:D