CVRT Spartan Fuel Consumption - J60 petrol

Diana and Jackie

I prefer to think of it as smiles per gallon!

I seem to remember once hearing a figure of about £3/4 per miles, but I think that included wear and tear to the undercarriage as well.

Chris on here has fitted a 70 litre plastic tank to his Spartan and I'll be doing the same very shortly. What sort of range are you finding this gives you? Would you recommend going any larger, say a 90 litre tank?

James

If you're worried about fuel consumption then you really should be looking for a different vehicle! I've never worked out what our petrol one used, but I don't think you are far off with the guesses. The plastic tank was filled up before going to W&P and that was the only time we filled it. The vehicle was sold soon after and it was still easily half full after driving to and from the low loader pick up and all the laps of the arena and show ground. We have a diesel one now and I doubt it will be any cheaper to run, but it's great fun to drive... Much nicer than a petrol one!

Chris

Here are some photos of the plastic fuel tank installation.

A marine tank was used, and fitted with a 24V fuel sender unit I found online. It wasn't quite matched to the original gauge in the dash, a full tank showed as half full on the gauge, but it's better than having to guess!

SAM_4516.jpg

SAM_4519.jpg

SAM_4703.jpg

SAM_4711.jpg

The main reason for doing this is the fact that the tank is around 400litres, which is a lot to try and keep full to stop condensation forming. When we got the vehicle we had no end of trouble trying to get the tank cleaned out, it was full of watery sandy mess. We started using Jerry cans fitted with the kind of adaptor used for running generators, but it is annoying not knowing how much fuel is in the can and having to stop after 10 miles to put a new can on, just in case.

The tank fitted where it is means minimum modification work is required. We held it in place with CVRT stowage straps and Land Rover strap staples. You could very easily replace the aluminium plate we removed and go back to running the original tank if required.

Chris

4.5mpg is the book number so based on Shauns calcs it sounds pretty accurate. I've run out a couple of times when hacking round fields though as I suspect it drops quite significantly off road. 8mpg sounds optimistic but i guess is possible on a steady run!