B.A.T and Oxford

Have NEVER seen, & was not aware of ANY blank rounds for any of the 120mm Recoilless rounds in British Service.

I aggree with the old Ferretfixer, to my knowlage there's no such thing as BAT blank and I can't imagine them used as saluting guns, the usual use for blank. I have some knowlage of blank as I command the troop of 75mm Pack Howitzers fireing the Noon Day Gun salute at the W&P Revival and have served with several RA units. As the BAT is recoiless and relys on the principle of opposite and opposing forces cancelling out any recoil, what point blank? In one part of the film you can clearly see the tracer going down range to hit the target. But what would I and Ferretfixer know as long serving REME Armourers/Gunfitters?

Never said it was a blank round.. was just making an observation that from the of photos I've seen of all types of BAT's firing the Back Blast is a lot bigger than that shown in the film.. it may of just been film speed or something that made it look that way..

I certainly get a more impressive bang when I fire my MOBAT..

Hello Rob, Heard you were at chatham last sunday, but missed you Mate! :)

Well, if you watch the film carefully. The weather is overcast a bit, & I don't know about the Properties of old film Etc.

Taken together with the fact that this was filmed on an WD/ ARMY Training area. Which in those days, WOULD have been the ONLY location that any type of artillery/ B.A.T would have been allowed to fire live.

I think that the footage is real enough personally. I too, have seen/worked/fired MANY recoilesss weapons of the B.A.T Series, when in Military Service Myself.

The Propellant type MAY have also been a different composition to the much later production batches?

And to perfectly honest. From a Tactical point of view, the very LAST thing that you want from a Weapon of this class.

Is the unavoidable backblast signature flame!....Soooooooo, a small Backblast Signature would have been the IDEAL thing required when firing!

VERY different from what you require when 'Firing' for film work/Arena displays Etc. :angel:

Never said it was a blank round.. was just making an observation that from the of photos I've seen of all types of BAT's firing the Back Blast is a lot bigger than that shown in the film.. it may of just been film speed or something that made it look that way..

I certainly get a more impressive bang when I fire my MOBAT..

True You didn't mention blanks my old Marmite but in the service there usualy 3 types of basic rounds "ignoring AP, FSAPDS, APDS, Illuminating, Smoke ETC". Live, Blank or Subcaliber as in 105 Light Gun in 14mm, the old LAW66, SLR "in .22". plus others. The heads of sheds took a dim view of useing unorthorised pyro/charges in weapons, it would at least mean a charge of Negligance Misuse and Damage or a Courts Marshal and a visit to Colly MCW.

Regards and I didn't mean to offend

Tiffy (Rob)

True You didn't mention blanks my old Marmite but in the service there usualy 3 types of basic rounds "ignoring AP, FSAPDS, APDS, Illuminating, Smoke ETC". Live, Blank or Subcaliber as in 105 Light Gun in 14mm, the old LAW66, SLR "in .22". plus others. The heads of sheds took a dim view of useing unorthorised pyro/charges in weapons, it would at least mean a charge of Negligance Misuse and Damage or a Courts Marshal and a visit to Colly MCW.

Regards and I didn't mean to offend

Tiffy (Rob)

No offense taken mate..

No Blanks for the BAT's but there was a BAT Back Blast Simulator for demonstrating the Back Blast of the Weapon.. Got the manual for constructing it :cool2: