Unknown manufacturer of chassis

nz2

this chassis has puzzled me for some years in trying to identify it. I'm picking its American as it has Smith wheels and Smith front axle, Solid rubber tyres and brakes on the front. Sheldon rear axle inverted so it could a bus chassis. 165 inch wheel base. the tubular cross member by the front springs is similar to White and International, though both manufacturers used their own parts.

Any help appreciated.

Doug

truck r smith wheel Dec; 2013 alt eml  012.jpg

truck r front alt eml Dec; 2013 053.jpg

truck r diff alt eml Dec; 2013 033.jpg

truck r  rear spring mount alt emlDec; 2013 014.jpg

Thanks Les for the reply. I'm picking it's around the time 1924, being the combination of solid rubber tyres and then brakes on the front axle. The front spring bushes are too small in length for International and the tube mounts are of a different pattern as well. It does appear more like a White from the front. The rear spring mounts having a quarter round shape are another differing feature. Note also the heavy cast cross member to carry the engine. Reference to Dykes Auto Encyclopedia , shows a few possibilities as to the maker, but nothing matches up with regards to wheel base, suppliers of components being Smith wheels etc. Could well be one of the smaller manufacturers out of the USA using propitiatory parts.

Doug

Gisborne Rere truck cross member 2 alt emlDec; 2013 018.jpg

Gisborne Rere truck front sprg mount alt eml Dec; 2013 015.jpg

Doug,

not sure if its a white, that front crossmember would be a good clue i'd say, i have seen a Denby chassis with smith wheels and front axle like that one, and as you say front brakes would probably place it mid twenties?, i'll have to check a few pictures i have,

mike.

Doug

Can I ask what Dykes edition do you have? I notice on the web there is a Dyke's CD on offer with early editions on it. How did the Dykes Encyc work? How different were different editions? Would this CD be a good purchase?

Robert

I haven't heard of the CD so can't comment on that. I have 3 copies of Dyke's book spanning the 1920' and 30's, as well as photo copies of some pages from other dates.The earlier versions listing of specifications are in a different format to the latter versions which show more information. Although printed annually, or thereabouts, some of the data as in the charts referred to remain the same for years on end.

In this I am referring to only the pages containing listings of specifications, the books are over a thousand pages of other information

Still a handy reference book for American vehicles.

Doug

A couple of observations, front wheel brakes and relatively small diameter solid tyred wheels, helper springs at back, steel back plates to the brake drums, all quite unusual combination with solids ??.

Richard Peskett.

Agree, not the normal. Hence the interest.

Doug