Hello from former BAOR

panzerbaer

• 1 year later...

Hi Ralf.

I have some good news for you. I followed your link and went straight to the Scorpion pictures. The first colour Scorpion picture, on display with a data board, is 15th/19th the King's Royal Hussars, almost certainly B Squadron though I cannot see a tac sign to confirm it. During my seven years in 15/19H, I shared my time between B Squadron and Command Troop (in HQ Squadron).

This picture is after my time (the crew are wearing Boots, Combat, High, which appeared a couple of years after I left. And the callsign board on the Chieftain in the background dates it as certainly after 1 July 1982 when a new callsign and voice procedure system was introduced to tighten security, just days before I transferred out..

I can name for you with absolute certainty the NCO in the middle, a good friend of mine, but I must refrain for Personal Security reasons. At first glance, even through the admirable pixellation, I thought the man on the left was my dear friend Steve Davies, who lost his fight with cancer a couple of years ago, but on second glance, it is just possible it's someone else.

If the picture was taken in 1984 (qv boots), this crew will have been 4 Armoured Division's divisional armoured reconnaissance regiment (15/19H moved from 3 Armd Div to 4 Armd Div, I was surprised to learn according to one Order of Battle, as early as 1 January 1981: recently out of Command Troop, my finger not on the pulse as it had been, I was blissfully unaware, even though I continued with the regiment for 18 months thereafter). Based at Alanbrooke Barracks, Paderborn.

If the picture was taken between 1987 and 1992 (when 15/19H amalgamated with 13/18H to become The Light Dragoons at Detmold, and back to CVR(T)), this crew must be part of the regiment's (now back on Chieftain) close reconnaissance troop in what I believe was D (Command and Support) Squadron. Based I believe at Hohne. Or maybe 15/19H went to Detmold in 1987 then amalgamated at Hohne. After my time.

Welcome to HMVF.

Edited by AlienFTM