How to check out an old preserved engine !

Mk3iain

Question

Hi

I have aquired some ex mod AV760 engines that were overhauled and stored many moons ago. They are not in their boxes anymore and I have no way of being sure of their condition.

I wish check them out as fully as possible and most likely use one to replace the engine in my Milly as it is modified with a turbo.

They will have been inhibited etc how do I check them out ?

Also I will be storing them again and would like to keep them long term, how to I prep them including the fuel injection systems etc ?

Many thanks !

7 answers to this question

Hi

I have aquired some ex mod AV760 engines that were overhauled and stored many moons ago. They are not in their boxes anymore and I have no way of being sure of their condition.

I wish check them out as fully as possible and most likely use one to replace the engine in my Milly as it is modified with a turbo.

They will have been inhibited etc how do I check them out ?

Also I will be storing them again and would like to keep them long term, how to I prep them including the fuel injection systems etc ?

Many thanks !

When the MoD were reconditioning engines after their test, the oil was drained and a preservative engine oil with lanolin was put in, this was light run and drained, then this lanolin oil was sprayed in every orifice, intake and exhaust, and plugs or injectors removed to spray in the bores. The flywheel or pulleys were taped so that the engine can be seen that it is not to be rotated and a label stating this as well, otherwise it would wipe the bores. Injectors or plugs refitted and all orifices taped over.

When I was involved with winterising combine harvesters, we ran the diesel engines up on a Shell Calibration Fluid which is a preservative.

I do recollect that all MoD engines in store were lifed for something like 5 years, then they had to have plugs or injectors out to inspect the bores with an endoscope and if not rust, then re-preserved. If these engines have been stored somewhere where the temperature can rise and fall, you have to be wary of condensation inside.

Hope this is of some use ;)

When the MoD were reconditioning engines after their test, the oil was drained and a preservative engine oil with lanolin was put in, this was light run and drained, then this lanolin oil was sprayed in every orifice, intake and exhaust, and plugs or injectors removed to spray in the bores. The flywheel or pulleys were taped so that the engine can be seen that it is not to be rotated and a label stating this as well, otherwise it would wipe the bores. Injectors or plugs refitted and all orifices taped over.

When I was involved with winterising combine harvesters, we ran the diesel engines up on a Shell Calibration Fluid which is a preservative.

I do recollect that all MoD engines in store were lifed for something like 5 years, then they had to have plugs or injectors out to inspect the bores with an endoscope and if not rust, then re-preserved. If these engines have been stored somewhere where the temperature can rise and fall, you have to be wary of condensation inside.

Many thanks Richard :thumbsup:

To start with I think I will first take off the sump plugs and see what comes out ! The air intakes were taped over but I think I'll take the covers off until I get to the rockers in case water is trapped in there. Then pull the injectors , see if I can get a shufti scope and see the bores. Put some light machine oil in the bores and try and turn the crank by hand (Girt long lever on a socket !)

One engine is on a storage frame so I may look at running them, or is that not wise ?

What about the injector pump etc ?

For long term storage maybe a nice warm dry shed ( Just as well I dont have patio doors....... yet)! :-D

Iain

On leaving the Army I worked for a company who packed stuff for the MOD, basically everything from a ball bearing to propellers, turrets etc. I agree entirely with Richard regarding the procedures to preserve engines for storage we used a slave land rover engine on a frame that was connected to engines , gearboxes etc and used to turn them over to lubricate all moving parts. As with everything military, everything was strictly regulated and checked throughout the process and although the shelf life was set at X years we have uncovered engines three times beyond that time that have been absolutely perfect HOWEVER it does all depend on how they have been stored and especially the temperature variations they have been subjected to, the MOD over engineered everything in those days including packaging that's why we are still finding WW2 items still in perfect condition in their original packaging. Unless your engines have been stored in really damp conditions with the original protective wax, plugs etc removed there is a good chance that on doing the usual checks, oil changes etc that you would do with any engine being awoken from a period of storage they will be fine. Money was no object in those days and everything was top quality, so hopefully they will be fully serviceable. Who knows maybe I packed them :-D

AV760 + turbo is likely to be a TL12.

Am I correct in thinking you have a mk3 Millie as the mk 1/2 should have an AV690??

Yes it's a Mk3 wrecker and the original AV760 has been modified with TL12 heads etc. Runs very nicely but there is no l/h engine side panel and the turbo sits where the passenger seat should be. :shake: I am sure it is known to some on here.

Iain

On leaving the Army I worked for a company who packed stuff for the MOD, basically everything from a ball bearing to propellers, turrets etc. I agree entirely with Richard regarding the procedures to preserve engines for storage we used a slave land rover engine on a frame that was connected to engines , gearboxes etc and used to turn them over to lubricate all moving parts. As with everything military, everything was strictly regulated and checked throughout the process and although the shelf life was set at X years we have uncovered engines three times beyond that time that have been absolutely perfect HOWEVER it does all depend on how they have been stored and especially the temperature variations they have been subjected to, the MOD over engineered everything in those days including packaging that's why we are still finding WW2 items still in perfect condition in their original packaging. Unless your engines have been stored in really damp conditions with the original protective wax, plugs etc removed there is a good chance that on doing the usual checks, oil changes etc that you would do with any engine being awoken from a period of storage they will be fine. Money was no object in those days and everything was top quality, so hopefully they will be fully serviceable. Who knows maybe I packed them :-D
Thank you ! I am not sure how well they were stored and recently they lost their storage crates.They have plates with the engineering company name but I am in the Gulf of Mexico just now and cant remember the name. I do know having looked them up on the interweb that they are now part of CAT, overhauling engines etc.Other than finding out the status of these engines this is a strangely interesting subject, especially when experts like yourself and Richard talk about it !Thanks again

Iain

Edited by Mk3iain