Cromwell / charioteer

shaun

I am concerned that the National Army Museum have not properly looked after the interests of this tank, merely offloading it to the East England Tank Museum, which may or may not be a museum. I negotiated for the tank to be released from Shoeburyness to the RCT Historic Trust, then as "Donor" provided the parts for its repair to running order. I believe that my name went down as donation organiser in the accession book at Beverley, where the RCT Historic Trust displayed it. When the MAT closed I contacted the National Army Museum asking for the tank to go to the Friends of the Tank Museum, to serve alongside the M4A2 and Comet. All I got was a short reply from the NAM saying that the Charioteer was not a viable runner as it lacked a steering assermbly (it had been borrowed to keep the Comet going in the MAT). Perhaps Wally can advise me as to the legal status of such a verhicle which was in his care years ago as part of the RCT Historic Trust. Did someone conveniently lose the accession register?

John

John, thanks for the back ground info on the vehicle.

Just so it's clear , the Tank is the property of the East England Military Museum not me personally . We have not yet decided what period of its history to restore the vehicle to or what it's going to represent . This is the very early stages of the restoration. The aim is that the vehicle is brought up to a reliable running vehicle .

Hi John,

Yes I remember the emails from you to me, and the conversations and emails etc I had with the NAM back in 2007 when the whole legality of the gift was looked into then. If you would like to come over for a chat about the tank you are more than welcome .

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Shaun, whatever you decide to do with the Charioteer my internal bins will be available from mine, also have you heard back or have you started breaking the Centurions, for the road wheels etc.? Also if you come across a bow gunner No20 mount I am still looking for one.

Adrian, that is very interesting, in my Cromwell I literature they call it a Machine Gun, No. 20 Mounting.

The MG mounting is of the gimbal type and is situated forward in the vehicle, on the left of the driver, the inner mantlet and cradle in which the MG is mounted moves both vertically and horizontally in an outer mantlet. The No 35 MK I is fitted to the left of the mounting and is moved by parallel link and lever motion.

In the Cromwell MKVII literature it is called a No. 21 MK I.

So it appears there were two different mountings...is this correct?, so I would assume the later No. 21 MK I is the same as the Comet.

Edited by lssah2025

Lance , we are going to see if they will mate !

They did, the 3rd is now at Ricks...

Shaun, if you are getting those spare road wheels from those vehicles you are cutting up, we can trade for the internal bins etc. if you require them, or I can buy them, any word on them?

Ahhh haa, yes no wonder it is a different mount and optic, it has the 90 degree bend in it and takes the place of the periscope, see that is why you are one of the experts. So I need a No 21 MK I everyone, so everyone start looking, get to the tank range and pull one of them bastages off for me. Also we talked about this before, do you think it would still be useful to track down a AEC turret, since it used the 75mm gun and had the Besa mount in it?