Need some Land Rover help

Longshaor

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting all my ducks in a row to import a Series III 109 FFR to the US, but I can't find a reference for the gross vehicle weight. I found one for the stock 109 of 3301 lbs, but wouldn't the FFR be somewhat heavier given the additional batteries and heavier electrical system? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Acording to the Rover book of words the Kerb weight of a series 3 109 soft top is 3471 pounds, that includes 5 gallons of fuel. Or 6 and a bit of yours. Max payload with two passengers on the road is 2000 pounds so add the two and you get a gross of 5471. Now comes the fun part ! That makes it roughly 2.5 tons Imperial (Proper tons!) or 2.74 US short tons. At least we agree lbs weigh the same! :D So nothing should exceed those figures (Theoritically).

Thanks for the help guys!

Here's a pair of more technical questions...

Were FFRs only fitted with soft tops? The only photos of them I have seen are all that way, but I would think a hard top would make more sense for protecting the wireless equipment from the elements...

Also, is there a reference for British Army tactical markings in the early 1980s? I run the 10 Para Living History Association here in the States and the only photos we have of S3 Landys from the Battalion all seem to be the same one. It has the number "22" inside a broken diamond on both doors in black. We're trying to determine if that's a Battalion-wide marking or if it's particular to one company/platoon.

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers!