Saladin shock absorber bottom shafts

Aussie

Question

I'm removing the shock absorbers and everything is pretty stuck, so I've made an "extractor" for the bottom shafts, and the aim is to just pull those shafts out. However while the parts pictures suggest that the shafts will just slide out, it's not entirely clear, so...

Can someone reassure me that the bottom shafts do just pull out, and that they aren't screwed in? Will need a fair bit of pressure to pull them out and I'd hate to strip a thread I wasn't aware of!

Thanks, James

3 answers to this question

I'm removing the shock absorbers and everything is pretty stuck, so I've made an "extractor" for the bottom shafts, and the aim is to just pull those shafts out. However while the parts pictures suggest that the shafts will just slide out, it's not entirely clear, so...

Can someone reassure me that the bottom shafts do just pull out, and that they aren't screwed in? Will need a fair bit of pressure to pull them out and I'd hate to strip a thread I wasn't aware of!

Thanks, James

James,

There should be a tapperd bolt that stops the shaft from rotating. This is screwed in on the suspension arm, it needs removing first.

However, the shafts are not man enough for the job they are doing and so bend!! ALso, the clearance between the shaft and the bush is quite tight, so if the last owner neaver put any oil though it you will be trying to move two dry parts. Good luck. I've had experiance of removing same on my Saladin :)

Andy.

Well, not the shafts now but approximate. The shafts do just pull out, after unscrewing the lock plate at the end. I can't pull one out with my extractor but can fit rebar through the other end (doesn't seem to be any block in the middle of the suspension) so plan to bash it out.

Current question: The top mounting plates (centre and rear) come out with 5/16 allen key but while I got the outside ones out with an impact driver and bar, I can't get at the inner ones because of the sharp angle between the hull and the shockers. I'm experimenting with made-up tools but driving home today it occurred to me that the shockers might just be sitting in the brackets without being fixed, in which case they should pull out of the brackets if I lower the hubs - then it would be much easier to get at the inner bolts with the shockers out of the way. (One experiment was to cut an allen key back to fit it in, but can't get enough leverage).

Strewth, this seems awfully long-winded. Must be tired. James