CCKW Split Axle Question.

shopnut

Right then, main centre hub nuts, the ones which holds all the wheel bearings on and also the lock nut which are under the hub drive flange are 83 mm across flats going by my vernier, sorry to be the bringer of bad news but reacon its the next box spanner up from the one you have :-D

R Cubed

I am hoping it will be 65mm, as this is the size opposite end of the 70mm box spanner just purchased. Thanks for you help with this.

Shopnut

Shopnut,

Don't forget that metric sizes were not used on these vehicles, any metric spanner is likely to be either sloppy or not fit. R Cubed has replied saying he measured the nut with his vernier and it is 83mm, this would work out at 3 1/4 inches. Hub nut box spanners are still available in inch sizes from motor factors who deal with commercial vehicles.

Richard

An interesting point, you say about it not being metric so what sizes did they use, I have found metric to be a better fit on some bits. If not metric why was the Howitzers barrel 105mm !!!!!!!!!! Not being awkward but am very interested in the correct nuts and bolts that would have been used when building these sorts of trucks ??

R Cubed

An interesting point, you say about it not being metric so what sizes did they use, I have found metric to be a better fit on some bits. If not metric why was the Howitzers barrel 105mm !!!!!!!!!! Not being awkward but am very interested in the correct nuts and bolts that would have been used when building these sorts of trucks ??

R Cubed

R Cubed,

Vehicles made in the USA during WW2 and right up to around the 1980's, would certainly be using inch sizes, their threads being predominantly American National Course and American National Fine. Spanner sizes will be AF, which means "Across Flats", so to determine a size of spanner / socket required, measure from flat to flat, with an Imperial vernier or caliper to save having to convert. Do not fall into the trap of what some people do, when measuring a bolt head, for instance, 9/16"AF spanner size, they then think it is a 9/16" bolt, the actual shank diameter would be 3/8".

Forget the 105mm gun, armaments are a rule to themselves, but I have no doubt that the gun carriage would use American inch threads on it.

Richard

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Inches and mm Aghhhhhhhhh which is which ;-) !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Ok so it all should be in inches, thats great, am aware about AF being across flats and also that the head does not relate to the bolt diameter, thanks for making the mud a bit clearer.

R Cubed

• 6 months later...