Unusual 10cwt Trailer Tow Hitch & brake lever

Ian L

• 1 year later...
This is the same type as shown in the 1948 manual for GS Mk2 trailers - I would be interested for my mortar trailer if it was going spare

Hi Tony any chance you could post any info / photos you have of this type of hitch please mate.

attachment.php?attachmentid=83581&d=1383849333

Ian, as you can see from the official manual, this type of trailer fitting is shown as standard for the mortar trailer. this is the only info I have but back in the GS trailer posts sean Walsh had one on his trailer and I posted a couple of photos I took at an MVCG rally at Southsea many years ago of a trailer with the same hitch - both trailers had opening front and rear gates leading me to suppose that they were from one manufacture and possibly a post-war variant. The manual is 1948 so it could be an illustration of this variant...it doesn't say. However, as I said at the time I would be most interested if you were selling it.

Tony L.

attachment.php?attachmentid=83581&d=1383849333

Ian, as you can see from the official manual, this type of trailer fitting is shown as standard for the mortar trailer. this is the only info I have but back in the GS trailer posts sean Walsh had one on his trailer and I posted a couple of photos I took at an MVCG rally at Southsea many years ago of a trailer with the same hitch - both trailers had opening front and rear gates leading me to suppose that they were from one manufacture and possibly a post-war variant. The manual is 1948 so it could be an illustration of this variant...it doesn't say. However, as I said at the time I would be most interested if you were selling it.

Tony L.

Thanks Tony so it is an original hitch, I thought it was home made. Not mine yet but should be in a few days time & unfortunately I already have a Mortar trailer with a damaged hitch lined up for it. Regards Ian.

012.jpg

002.jpg

Edited by Ian L

Ian,

It looks good - original cleats and it looks as though it has the data plate as well. The woodwork appears original but well worn so it will be interesting to see the results when you begin restoring it. this is the trailer I photographed at Southsea. It might be worth contacting Sean as his trailer had that type of hitch. Richard Farrant thinks that this trailer was made by Templewood .

attachment.php?attachmentid=90757&d=1399366170&thumb=1

A quote from the previous GS trailer thread regarding the above photo

"Tony/Richard,

The preparation of the Dingo,Jeep and K2 for Normandy next month have prevented anything from being done to our trailer since this post over two years ago. The pictures do show the tail/headboard arrangement and poses several questions which are still unanswered. Hopefully work will restart on the trailer this summer.

Since that post it has become apparent that trailers exist today with a hinged headboard, a hinged tailboard or a combination of both front and rear.

Both Orme Evans and TEC produced 10 cwt Number 2 trailers-Mortar,Mortar Ammunition and GS variants concurrently in the same contracts at their respective factories.that is a matter of contract record. It would seem that Mortar trailers were designed with a hinged headboard only,the GS with a hinged tailboard only.

The mudguard shape is a red herring as all 10 cwt Number 2 trailers by these makers had the rectangular mudguards.

Is it possible that at some stage a number of trailers were retrospectively converted as an improvement or even perhaps to increase the availability of normal load carrying GS trailers in use by providing a rear tailboard or was it possible that all combinations came out of the works during the war ?

Pictures of the trailers deployed behind the gun in an ammunition supply role shows the practicality of the front hinged headboard when the tow ring is placed on the ground and the headboard opened but for normal loading of ammunition or general stores surely a rear opening tailgate is preferable especially when the trailer is attached a towing vehicle. I have a friend who uses his Mortar trailer to collect logs and he curses the front opening headboard as an inconvenience.

So the question remains ?

David."

Check around posting 312 on the GS trailer thread.

Tony L.