What is it?

Smithy

Ok you guys are usually pretty good at these things. I've just returned from a few days in France following in the footsteps of the BEF around the Lille and Dunkirk area. Anyway whilst in Dunkirk we visited the very good Memorial du Souvenir which covers the Battle of Dunkirk and Operation Dynamo.

Inside the museum there is a section which now contains a wreck of a vehicle recovered in 2009 after being found on Bray-Dunes. It is believed that the wreck is one of the trucks which were used to build up the temporary jetties in May/June 1940.

Now can anyone identify it from the following photos I took? Obviously a good chance it could be a Morris Commercial or Bedford MW. However with the number of different vehicles that were around at the time it could be anything. On the plaque it says that the tyres are made in England along with the battery and it has a six cylinder engine. However if anyone can identify it then I'm sure you lot can!

260_zps78149fae.jpg

261_zpsdc1ed35b.jpg

262_zpse339fbcc.jpg

263_zps9068f94f.jpg

264_zpsbad34aee.jpg

265_zpsc6267a7e.jpg

266_zpseb79e3b9.jpg

Scott

I agree with the above only i think it was a impressed cilivian spec truck, rather than a mw ox oy, model. The breather pipe on the drivers side of the engine is pointing down the military ones point up. Will have a look through my pictures later see if i can find anything looking the same.

I would say it was a WT or WL type, there are lots of them to be seen in photos around Dunkirk at the time. The wheels are the telling feature, different to O types. The engine would be a 27.3hp unit, not the later 28hp that we know in the wartime models.

No tyre pump fitted either, so most likely an impressed lorry.

Edited by Richard Farrant
grammar

Hello,

Pete i think like richard says the wheels give it away, the early ox/oy did have twins but the wheels are different.

As richard/wally say i think it is a w type similar to this i think, as wally says there are a number of pictures and Bart Vanderveen states cilvilian trucks were used.

17442r.jpg

Hello,

Pete i think like richard says the wheels give it away, the early ox/oy did have twins but the wheels are different.

As richard/wally say i think it is a w type similar to this i think, as wally says there are a number of pictures and Bart Vanderveen states cilvilian trucks were used.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81717[/ATTACH]

Ah yes but the very early 1939 and 1940 O models had civilian ventilated disc wheels but I agree the BEF had a large number of W types there a classic picture of one loaded with Infantry during the retreat on one of those classically straight French roads.

Pete

Hello Pete,

Yes you are correct, but the wheels changed i think, i'm happy to be proven wrong. If you follow this link

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=80610&start=2460

on page 165 there are some trucks like the one above, and on page 161 there is an o type with the twins as you say, but the wheels look different, more cooling holes. I think the wheels changed when the o type was introduced. There are more pictures of o types with twins on other pages.

Also as i said before the breather on the drivers side of the engine is the civilian type, if it was an o type the breather would point up.

Best wishes

John

It doesn't look like an OX to me, and I have spent the last three months becoming intimately acquainted with my OXD. Note that the handbrake lever is attached to the left hand side of the gearbox, and as someone has already pointed out, there is no compressor on the gearbox, and there are differences from the military spec 28hp engine.

Mike.