Puzzling lorry...

Redherring

I am by no means an expert on ww1 stuff, but was bored at lunchtime :D

Could it be a Berliet or a liberty truck as they had comparable vertical slits in the hood? I was trying to find something with those similar drag link arm "things" but most have toolboxes fitted there. Also your picture is RHD so not sure if what I just mentioned ever were made that way.

Might have to go back to mage searching..... nice puzzle

The wheels certainly have a close resemblance to the Fiat ,however the rod connecting the steering box to the drag link is much longer than Fiat used. Also the radius rod used to connect the chassis to rear axle is unusual looking for Fiat.

possibly as Redherring suggests, might be a Daimler or similar.

I saw a German vehicle was similar without the front fenders but there was no description of what it was and the angle of the photo didn't show the wheels or chassis.

Trawling thru all the other Fiat stuff was a blank as found a good website for that (was thinking the wheels may of been on another Fiat but all the other body styles are very different)

Have to find a good Daimler site tomorrow lunchtime :D

Comparing this photo with that on a previous posting and looking carefully at the two I consider they are the same truck. The earlier posting shows a light coloured steel bar running up from the axle, in the same manner as the whole bar is shown on the photo of the complete truck.

Also the photo used to identify the truck before ( from Michael Young's book) shows this torque bar as a complete unit.

The semi vertical steering column is also the same.

The rear wheel bearing cap in the above photo is missing, the rest of the photo has too much shadow about to compare in detail items like the rivets about the perimeter of the wheel center.

Rod Dux in his book on Australian Military vehicles lists a number of trucks of German and European origin being seconded, others purchased and even a shipment of German trucks confiscated from on board ships at Melbourne.

I'm suggesting it's again a Berna truck.

Doug

Would appear that the British Berna group are on the money. Couple of good reference vehicles may be seen on this link ... http://www.stilltimecollection.co.uk/search/q/0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1-Berna.html

Yes Tim, during WW1 all home front Military Transport used the D^D prefix to a number believed to be centrally issued from AHQ (as it was) in Melbourne. Rod