Battery and Charger

125LAA

What is the best battery and charger for my Ford GPW. I have a LINCON Battery at the moment and as far as I can gather it has been in the vehicle since 2002. I am not sure whether it has reached the end of its useful life because I am not sure how well the battery has been looked after. So I am after a charger as well. I am sure there is plenty of thoughts out there. The only sure way is to check the SG of the acid?:undecided:

I cannot comment on your current battery (pun intended) ! but I use an Optimate trickle charger on my Jeep's 6v battery and it has been great, battery has lasted five years and always fully charged when needed. I used one on my Honda Fireblade after having two batteries in two years once I fitted an Optimate I had the same battery on it and going strong 6 years later ! Even if you buy a new battery to be sure, I would recommend fitting an Optimate or similar to prolong it's life :-)

I cannot comment on your current battery (pun intended) ! but I use an Optimate trickle charger on my Jeep's 6v battery and it has been great, battery has lasted five years and always fully charged when needed. I used one on my Honda Fireblade after having two batteries in two years once I fitted an Optimate I had the same battery on it and going strong 6 years later ! Even if you buy a new battery to be sure, I would recommend fitting an Optimate or similar to prolong it's life :-)

I was going to suggest a trickle charger, especially as its not a daily driver. It will condition your battery, keep it at its peak and you can keep it connected without worry, especially if you get what's called an "intelligent" one.

Thanks Gents,

I have just borrowed a trickle charger to get me going as I do not think the battery is totally had it. I will invest in an intelligent charger. Optimate/Accumate/Ctek/Tecmate just to name a few. I have a confession to make and I am sure I would not be the only one that has initially relied on the Jeep fuel gauge. I think you can guess what I am about to say. I was low on fuel and nearly flatened the battery trying to start my baby, I dont need to go on do I you get the drift though.:nut:

Thanks again I have learnt my lesson.

Thanks Gents,

I have just borrowed a trickle charger to get me going as I do not think the battery is totally had it. I will invest in an intelligent charger. Optimate/Accumate/Ctek/Tecmate just to name a few. I have a confession to make and I am sure I would not be the only one that has initially relied on the Jeep fuel gauge. I think you can guess what I am about to say. I was low on fuel and nearly flatened the battery trying to start my baby, I dont need to go on do I you get the drift though.:nut:

We've all been there mate :D As I said earlier the beauty of a intelligent type charger is they never let you down and as long as you park your jeep near a power source you will always know you have a fully charged battery, I have used one on a condemned battery my friend gave me for my sheep electric fencer after it failed several times to hold a charge, after being on the Optimate it is now holding charge and I used it on my own car for a couple of weeks when mine failed ! They have the ability to reclaim batteries thought to be useless. Well worth the investment, like a jeep ! :-)

I am not a Gent!

..... but perhaps the intelligent ones that pop up in Aldi's or Lidl's are a good option.

Diana

Thanks Gents,

Accepted

Diana

I can't see there was any need for an apology, 125LAA was simply thanking the "Gents" that had answered his question, at the time of his post no other female had replied to that question.. no issue as far as I can see.. if you think there is please let us know via PM..

From another non-gent :)

If you are working a lot with 6V then I can recommend the Absaar chargers - I picked up a non-intelligent 6/12/24 version that can do a high current jump start for a 6V motor.

Finding a 6V intelligent charger is a bit difficult unless you are dealing with small batteries (like motorbike ones).