Old photo album (value?)

No Signals

I have not been one for considering buying old photo albums before so have no experience or idea as to whether they have a monetary value, but my guess is that some of you on here will have. I've seen an album on a local flea market that dates, at my guess, from between wars years 20/30's. It has lots of photos of blokes in uniform and quite a few with vehicles in them. At a quick glance most of them seemed to be somewhere in a desert type location. (Pretty sure it is not TE Lawrence's private snapshots :-\ ) The stall holder wants £30 for the album. I'm not particularly interested in it for a monetary value, I just want to take a longer look at the photos, but don't fancy being left with something I can't sell on and get my outlay back because I paid too much. Anyone have any idea what a typical old album of snaps fetches? Well outside my experience.

They vary. You should be able to get him down. 30 quid is a lot of money. But if you think the pics are worth it, go for it. These albums are worth saving. Otherwise they end up in bins. Serious collectors buy them and the pix end up in books published by the likes of Pen & Sword - so it isn't a daft thing to start collecting.

MB

just look on ebay, some photos can easilly go 10 quid each and upwards. Depends on whats in it, rarity etc and if someone wants it. Wanting it is the interesting variable as depends what someone is collecting, could be a truck, a place, a unit, a person etc

sad to see an album broken up, but better than the bin

Thanks for the input fellas. I didn't appreciate there was quite so much interest in old photos. The price started off at £50 so I don't see it coming down any more, the dealer said they had paid £25. But it looks as if I wont lose if I bought it at that price. Agreed it is sad to break up an album but, who knows, it may sell on again as an item.

There you are. Collectors buy the pix individually. So, if you want to keep the album together - you have to buy it whole. Tough one. Personally, as an photo librarian/archivist by profession - I would not want to see it broken. But these things need researching and kept. If they go to military museums - paid for and donated by you, they end up in a file, invariably - not displayed and hardly seen - depending on what you think of as seen or used. if you are going to become a collector, this might be where you start.

MB