Transporting Firearms Components

andym

Question

This is a possibly silly question from a newbie FAC holder. If I need to have components covered by an FAC (or indeed a complete firearm) transported round the country, how do I go about it? Can I just use a normal transport company or does the FAC holder need to be in attendance?

Andy

5 answers to this question

This is a possibly silly question from a newbie FAC holder. If I need to have components covered by an FAC (or indeed a complete firearm) transported round the country, how do I go about it? Can I just use a normal transport company or does the FAC holder need to be in attendance?

Andy

Can another person transport my firearm or shot gun for me?

Any shotgun certificate holder may transport your shotgun without entering it onto their certificate, providing they are in possession of the gun for less than 72 hours. If they will be holding it for longer than 72 hours the gun must be entered onto their certificate and the relevant licensing office informed.

A firearm may not be transported by another person unless they hold a firearms certificate specifically authorising them to possess that gun.

Registered firearms dealers may transport your guns in the course of their business.

Firearms components have special transport requirements that are governed by UK law, for some components if you are not collecting them directly from the seller I think they will need to be sent to a local firearms dealer for collection.

To get proper guidance speak to you FEO..

Edited by Marmite!!

Be careful if you are thinking of flying. The law prohibts the carriage of Fire arm componets- and it means anythingeven a plastic magazine stripper unless declared. Actually good day to ask. BA will having been flying shotguns by the dozen up to Scotland for the Glourious 12th. Please note --- Even if you talking about a Shotgun, the person in tempoary care must have a certificate in their own right. There is one legal way around it. If you can get a RFD to make you thier 'Agent' for a specific move. There was a great deal of controversy ober this some years back, now any transfer or sale of a shotgun or Firearm must be done face to face.