BV Vessel

fesm_ndt

Ok I got a BV vessel and cables as the missus likes her coffee :red:

Is there a junction box they plug into?

I suppose ditto for the penthouse lights?

Hopping they are all little boxes instead of hard mount sockets, but if that's the case I need the numbers for those

Ok I got a BV vessel and cables as the missus likes her coffee :red:

Is there a junction box they plug into?

I suppose ditto for the penthouse lights?

Hopping they are all little boxes instead of hard mount sockets, but if that's the case I need the numbers for those

There are a number of different control boxes for the boiling vessel depending on the vehicle they are used in. Most armoured vehicles have the control and power circuit integrated into the vehicle wiring, for example my CET has the on/off switch inthe earth operators dash panel.

Most wheeled vehicles if they had BV facility used a seperate control box. I have one from a Stalwart fitted in my Crusader.

I have attached photos of one from a Foden Recovery which is destined for my Scammell S26.BV 1.jpg

BV 2.jpg

These beasties take a lot of current.

Does the control box not contain an interlock/relay to turn it off when the vehicle isn't charging?

Hope you've a good alternator......:-D

Alec

Correct, around 55A if I recall correctly. Note that there is also a later type of BV in circulation, which is now sufficiently technically advanced to have a thing called a "switch"! :-)

Andy

Quite right the control box is marked as 60 amp. I have been caught out in the past using it in my Crusader when parked up, you must have big batteries and a high capacity alternator. Most armoured vehicle operator handbooks have numerous warnings about using the BV without the engine running and charging.

Sounds like the BV idea is problematic. I got the cables so it would be useful to get the socket though as I gan use them on all the other plug in bits I have.

I just got this box. Has anyone got the 75amp feeder cable as I didnt see any on ebay just now?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79397[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]79398[/ATTACH]

Somehow there seem to be too many pins in that terminal Mike. I have not seen that green box before used with a boiling vessel.

I seem to recall four pins on our BV206 which has the same grey box as Antar shows if not a slight bit different but virtually identical.

I will 100% agree that they are a power hungry unit to run and we only run ours with vehicle on high idle, you really hear the engine come under load when you throw the switch. Conversely I would not be without a working boiling vessel.

R

Yep this one I'll use to power all the bits and pieces I got. The big plug on this one is for the 12v input.

The outlets are standard 2 pin. Not sure if this is a later replacement to the 3 outlet Land Rover one or fits into something completely different. When I was talking call signs on the net it was all US stuff.

yep, Its supposedly for a Clansman installation. In what I have no idea.

I think I will give up running a BV as looks like more trouble than its worth. So now I am just sourcing the bits to power up my ancillary stuff, penthouse lights (plug into this one), and a few other gadgets. Having a nice box like this keeps everything neat and tidy

I found the cables that plug into the four outlets on ebay but haven't found so far the large input cable that goes in the top